Re: New Tank & Dead Female Beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spammin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Re: New Tank & Dead Female Beta

Hello.

I started a 6.8 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago (Fluval Edge). I initially included 2 red guppies and live plants to help get the system running. It includes a filter and heater.

After confirming with the pet shop I attend that my balances were right, I proceeded to add 2 additional guppies, 2 zebra snails and one female crown tail beta - and at first everything went fine.

When I got home I proceeded to float each bag for a while and slowly added the fish. All of them ate when I fed them that night. The next morning I checked on my fish, and again everything seemed fine.

However when I got home later that afternoon, about 10 hours later, my beta was barely breathing, and within minutes died. I had pulled her out to isolate her and possibly see if it was a problem I could treat, but she didn't survive the transfer. When I did pull her out I noticed a white fuzz on one side of her that hadn't been there before. I wouldn't describe it as 'patchy', but fuzz that covered one side of her gills and a bit of her mouth. I have an idea of what it was, but need confirmation and input on what to do now.

I went back to the shop and they again confirmed my tank had the right balances. When I talked to the chap that owns the store, I indicated to him that I had seen some quarantine signs on a couple tanks. He said that an employee may have inadvertently used a net on the infected tank and then on the one my fish had been in without sterilizing it. He didn't say what it was but did recomend a treatment.

So what was it that killed her and what do I do? At present my guppies all seem fine, but will that last? I did as the store owner (and as a number of blogs have suggested) and changed 50% of the water followed by adding sea salt. But what else?

Should I treat the tank more? Do more water changes? Change filters?...

:(

Did he tell you what exactly the water parameters were? It needs to be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte and 5-20 nitrAte.
Don't add any more fish, as you are pretty stocked up now.
When you acclimate the fish, you need to float the bag and add water from your tank to the bag every 15 minutes. DO NOT use the water from the bag to fill your tank.
Sounds like it might have been fungus on her. Just keep an eye on the guppies to make sure they don't develop anything funky. I would stop using the salt though, since you don't know exactly what's going on. You will have to manually remove that too, since it doesn't evaporate, by doing water changes.

Back
Top Bottom