Re - occuring Fin rot? (Getting Angry Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, my HM's fins are looking the same way, and I asumed it was just the water here where we moved. Before we moved we had hard water with a lot of minerals in it, and this water here is soft and I am sure it has more chlorine in it. Nothing else has changed.
You can try doing one or two more water changes a week, maybe 25% each time, and see if that helps.
I did read once that genetics can cause fin loss and the weird curling thing that happens to some bettas, maybe that's what's going on.
All in all, what I suggest is getting some of the Stress Coat with aloe, and use that when you do water changes.

What's your maintenance schedule like?

I don't really like tank dividers unless you can get adequate flow to each side.

As far as temp goes, idk, maybe. I keep mine in room temp and don't plan on ever putting a heater in his tank.

What are your water params? I'm assuming 0 ammonia/nitrite, what nitrates?

Well, my HM's fins are looking the same way, and I asumed it was just the water here where we moved. Before we moved we had hard water with a lot of minerals in it, and this water here is soft and I am sure it has more chlorine in it. Nothing else has changed.
You can try doing one or two more water changes a week, maybe 25% each time, and see if that helps.
I did read once that genetics can cause fin loss and the weird curling thing that happens to some bettas, maybe that's what's going on.
All in all, what I suggest is getting some of the Stress Coat with aloe, and use that when you do water changes.

They have un-even edges? Ya thats worth a shot. I have to get more stress coat. Its all gone now. o_O I just used the last bit I had.

What's your maintenance schedule like?

I don't really like tank dividers unless you can get adequate flow to each side.

As far as temp goes, idk, maybe. I keep mine in room temp and don't plan on ever putting a heater in his tank.

What are your water params? I'm assuming 0 ammonia/nitrite, what nitrates?

Change 25% a week w/ gravel vac
Filter is in the middle so both sides get flow
Don't know the params I would have to get my friend to come and test it for me. Or I could take it to the petstore,

Hmm, interesting. I just wondered because all of my bettas came from petco except for one from walmart, and they all stay in perfect shape except from that one from walmart. I thought he had fin rot initially, I treated it and the deterioration stopped, but his tail has never grown back in like it was the day I brought him home, and he's kept in ideal conditions. It's very odd..because I can't point to anything in the water because I have so many other bettas in the house doing great..and he's healthy otherwise, he just doesn't have that long flowing veil tail. I too have wondered, like dkpate said, if it is a genetics issue.

I've seen bettas with clamped fins more than once at 76F. Almost every time I see a case of velvet, it is in a betta that was kept without a heater. Personally I'd rather not keep a betta at all than keep one without a heater.

It really isn't advisable to keep a tank w/o a test kit. I would get one asap. The first thing to check when experiencing probs like this is the water parameters.

Change 25% a week w/ gravel vac
Filter is in the middle so both sides get flow
Don't know the params I would have to get my friend to come and test it for me. Or I could take it to the petstore,

Just narrowing down possible issues. I'd probably just do as mentioned in other posts and up the water changes both in frequency and amount. In a small tank its not that difficult and I think it'll be the best thing to get results from at this point.

Hmm, interesting. I just wondered because all of my bettas came from petco except for one from walmart, and they all stay in perfect shape except from that one from walmart. I thought he had fin rot initially, I treated it and the deterioration stopped, but his tail has never grown back in like it was the day I brought him home, and he's kept in ideal conditions. It's very odd..because I can't point to anything in the water because I have so many other bettas in the house doing great..and he's healthy otherwise, he just doesn't have that long flowing veil tail. I too have wondered, like dkpate said, if it is a genetics issue.

I've seen bettas with clamped fins more than once at 76F. Almost every time I see a case of velvet, it is in a betta that was kept without a heater. Personally I'd rather not keep a betta at all than keep one without a heater.

It really isn't advisable to keep a tank w/o a test kit. I would get one asap. The first thing to check when experiencing probs like this is the water parameters.
I know I should have gotten a test kit. Money has been tight though and I have been trying to find a decent deal on one.

Just narrowing down possible issues. I'd probably just do as mentioned in other posts and up the water changes both in frequency and amount. In a small tank its not that difficult and I think it'll be the best thing to get results from at this point.
Alright I will do 10 % changes every other day. We'll see if that helps.

Ok best deal is from allpet.com or fosterandsmithaquatics.com but you'll need to be ordering more stuff to get free shipping. Otherwise Walmart.com usually has one for $25 w/ free ship to store or amazon for $25 w/ free ship.

No. If you changed 10% every other day, that is not the same as every 2 days. Every 2 days would be for example, change part on Monday, wait 2 days, then change part again (Thurs). If you changed every other day, it would be Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, etc.

BTW, the kitten in your prof pic is adorable. :)

Really..that's not what I think when I hear "every 2 days". Good to know :)

No. If you changed 10% every other day, that is not the same as every 2 days. Every 2 days would be for example, change part on Monday, wait 2 days, then change part again (Thurs). If you changed every other day, it would be Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, etc.

BTW, the kitten in your prof pic is adorable. :)

Ah. When I think 2 days I think like 2 days from now (tues) would be thursday.

I see what you are getting at.

Also, my nitpicky moment of the day, (2) 10% water changes do not equal a 20% one because the 2nd 10% water change would be taking out a portion of the 1st 10% one as well.

Now my brain hurts :(

Wow you confused me. Someone mailed me saying to do ten % each day. 20 is no problem. I can do that too.

Hey I just noticed today that the tank stinks. It smells bad. My other tank just has a light fish smell... nothing bad at all and the other tank stinks nasty!! There is an oil layer again and even some white stuff on the oil too.

Back
Top Bottom