Re - occuring Fin rot? (Getting Angry Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_1460248_0_fbfd453ca01fc86155f7397a0d736fb0.jpg

Blue Boy - He is currently being treated with salt. 1tsp per gallon. I am changing the water 100 % everyday. He is on day 6. he was getting worse the first few days, but now it appears he is improving. He isn't as lazy, has more color and it appears that his fins are re-growing. But its hard to tell. Also is it normal for the rays to grow back out first? Cause it looks like thats whats happening...

My bettas rays grew out first. He does look pretty bad. :( Are you sure he's not biting his? They do have Stress-Zyme with aloe, and you might want to try some of that.

My bettas rays grew out first. He does look pretty bad. :( Are you sure he's not biting his? They do have Stress-Zyme with aloe, and you might want to try some of that.
Ya he is pretty awful. :( I am suprised how fast the rot moved more then anything. I don't know what to do. I don't know. What is stress zyme?

What about New Boy? Do you think I should be concerned about him?

Last edited:
img_1464039_0_fbfd453ca01fc86155f7397a0d736fb0.jpg

21st of July
img_1464039_1_204ed8100eab7de3b9e01f5c8da0e9d5.jpg

23rd of July

What should I do? He only has one day left on salt... then I have to take him off... Any ideas?

Also should I be worried about damage like this -

img_1464039_2_bcfbe90e04f3d8e8937a292bbabc6a56.jpg

His fins looked like this before I was stupid and threw away the cartridge and just put in a new one. That was over a month ago though... if not longer...

img_1464039_3_1a6534dee5973c449baa9fecec87b1ca.jpg

This is when I very first had him before I pulled out the cartirdge. The damage shown above has been pretty much the same for months... is he just a slow healer? Or should I treat him with salt for a week too?

His fins don't look terrible, the second fish. The first one, that's a different story. As long as his fins don't rot all the way to his body, he should be able to grow them back. BUT, to me, it looks more like bites, since the edges are so severe.

His fins don't look terrible, the second fish. The first one, that's a different story. As long as his fins don't rot all the way to his body, he should be able to grow them back. BUT, to me, it looks more like bites, since the edges are so severe.
Thats what some people on other forums were saying too.... So Just don't know what to do. :p No more Halfmoons for me.

To answer you earlier question, I would absolutely avoid the bowl. It just invites problems like fin rot and velvet. Clearly the last thing you need right now. I don't think Blue boy looks like he has fin rot at all...looks like a biter.

But New boy on the other hand does appear to have fin rot. Has that one been treated at all yet?

To answer you earlier question, I would absolutely avoid the bowl. It just invites problems like fin rot and velvet. Clearly the last thing you need right now. I don't think Blue boy looks like he has fin rot at all...looks like a biter.

But New boy on the other hand does appear to have fin rot. Has that one been treated at all yet?
New boy? No not at all. Would a week of salt do the trick?

You think Blue boy is a biter too? I may need to set up a small tank for apollo then. I am thinking maybe he doesn't like the larger space if that makes any sense at all.

Blue boy's tail just doesn't look like fin rot at all. The pattern really looks like biting to me.

I wouldn't use salt as the first treatment. If it's been a while and you aren't seeing any further deterioration, just continue on with clean water. If he starts to look any worse, I would try a round of bettafix/melafix and plan to try salt if that doesn't work.

Blue boy's tail just doesn't look like fin rot at all. The pattern really looks like biting to me.

I wouldn't use salt as the first treatment. If it's been a while and you aren't seeing any further deterioration, just continue on with clean water. If he starts to look any worse, I would try a round of bettafix/melafix and plan to try salt if that doesn't work.
I won't be using mela anymore. I have been told it is damaging the the labryinth organ. But it hasn't gotten worse yet. :)

I decided to treat Newboy with salt for a week too. Just 1 tsp per 5 gallons though. We'll see how this goes, I am treating for 10 days. :)

STOP medicating those bettas. That's not fin rot. "Fin rot" will look DARK on the edges. There is nothing wrong with the one, and the other with the ragged tail (blue boy) has to be tailbiting or tearing them up on something. A case of fin rot that took that much of a tail out would have other symptoms by now, like a very sick or dead betta.

Don't freak out brother. Bettas are tough. If they are eating well, your water parameters are acceptable, and you have no other reason to believe your fish are sick, don't do anything.
Don't worry about the salt either, lots of people keep bettas in salt at the level of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon at all times with no ill effects. I've done it. Don't get silly and use several times that amount or anything.

STOP medicating those bettas. That's not fin rot. "Fin rot" will look DARK on the edges. There is nothing wrong with the one, and the other with the ragged tail (blue boy) has to be tailbiting or tearing them up on something. A case of fin rot that took that much of a tail out would have other symptoms by now, like a very sick or dead betta.

Don't freak out brother. Bettas are tough. If they are eating well, your water parameters are acceptable, and you have no other reason to believe your fish are sick, don't do anything.
Don't worry about the salt either, lots of people keep bettas in salt at the level of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon at all times with no ill effects. I've done it. Don't get silly and use several times that amount or anything.

I haven't been using any medications now. Its only been salt and to be honest that has helped more then anything. I don't know what to think anymore. I have gotten so many different answers / suggestions I don't even know what to do anymore.

Also how is there nothing wrong with (The one) Or newboy - the aqua / red one? He went from nice smooth edges to somewhat ragged... I didn't think that was normal...

Last edited:
I haven't been using any medications now. Its only been salt and to be honest that has helped more then anything.

Good! That should tell you something. I admit I didn't read all 24 pages after the first couple I skipped to the last couple pages.

I don't know what to think anymore. I have gotten so many different answers / suggestions I don't even know what to do anymore.

Also how is there nothing wrong with (The one) Or newboy - the aqua / red one? He went from nice smooth edges to somewhat ragged... I didn't think that was normal...

Well maybe not, it doesn't look bad to me. I took another look it could possibly be a slight case of fin rot. Do the salt, but I'd do at least a half teaspoon per gallon it won't hurt anything. Keep them in clean water with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per gallon aquarium salt and you won't have to worry about fin rot, it would have to be something else.

Oh forgot to post. :) Blue boy and Apollo are both healing and doing well. I'm just waiting for Apollo to eat himself again.

Back
Top Bottom