ready to give up... lost 6 of 9 angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was just hoping.....:( don't give up! You're too good for that! I'm really afraid of this virus. No signs or symptoms? I'm never adding new angels. How long cannot lie dormant? Meaning, could fish I've had 2 months have it?

Was just hoping.....:( don't give up! You're too good for that! I'm really afraid of this virus. No signs or symptoms? I'm never adding new angels. How long cannot lie dormant? Meaning, could fish I've had 2 months have it?

I think people say it can, but it's a pretty rare thing. First time I've ever encountered it, and I've probably had 30 angels total go in and out in my tank total. (From babies to adults)
However, not a lot of research has been done on it so not a lot is known.

This is why it's important to quarantine new fish regardless of where you got them.

Proper quarantine will allow you to spot potential problems before they hit your display tanks and cause huge problems.

This is why it's important to quarantine new fish regardless of where you got them.

Proper quarantine will allow you to spot potential problems before they hit your display tanks and cause huge problems.

Yeah I know. Just got a strict mom that's like "I already pay enough for your filters and heater and water changes!!" (Even when I pay 15-18 a month)
I can have one more tank running but it's not allowed to have a filter or heater. Which is pretty much a betta. A betta living in an unhealthy condition that it really shouldn't be living in :/

Wait, I thought it might not show symptoms for a month. In fact, I thought angelfish aids had no symptoms until the very end, and if a fish were a carrier, he would never show symptoms? So, how would a quarantine help? I keep fish in a little tank for a week before adding them to my main tank. But the fish always seem to get sick after they are moved. How long are u supposed to quarantine? So, did you figure it out angelfish girl?

Wait, I thought it might not show symptoms for a month. In fact, I thought angelfish aids had no symptoms until the very end, and if a fish were a carrier, he would never show symptoms? So, how would a quarantine help? I keep fish in a little tank for a week before adding them to my main tank. But the fish always seem to get sick after they are moved. How long are u supposed to quarantine? So, did you figure it out angelfish girl?

99% sure it's the angelfish plague.
QTing would help in this situation 90% of the time because an angel with the disease would die within a week of QT.
10% of the time it might not though because, like (seemingly) my angels that brought it in, some can be immune to it. Very few are though.

I quarantine at least 3 weeks. Last QT I did was 4 rummy nose tetras and 2 platies. Turns out one platy had a case of fin rot.

I kept the rummies and one platy for 3 weeks and then moved them to display tank. Kept the platy with fin rot an extra week. Cured him with just water changes. Everybody is doing fine.

You should qt for at least three weeks. I try to qt for a full month. If any symptoms pop up and you have to treat a disease, you should qt them for another three weeks after the treatment is complete. A week isn't really long enough but within 3-4 weeks most diseases will show themselves if they are still in a dormant stage in the fish when you buy them.

And in the case of a carrier you probably wouldn't find out in qt unless there were other angels in the qt at the same time that weren't immune. That's one of the things that make "angelfish aids" or "the angelfish plague" such a scary disease. And you're right, the only symptoms show up at the end - I've had fish go from seemingly healthy to dead from this in a matter of hours.

You should qt for at least three weeks. I try to qt for a full month. If any symptoms pop up and you have to treat a disease, you should qt them for another three weeks after the treatment is complete. A week isn't really long enough but within 3-4 weeks most diseases will show themselves if they are still in a dormant stage in the fish when you buy them.

And in the case of a carrier you probably wouldn't find out in qt unless there were other angels in the qt at the same time that weren't immune. That's one of the things that make "angelfish aids" or "the angelfish plague" such a scary disease. And you're right, the only symptoms show up at the end - I've had fish go from seemingly healthy to dead from this in a matter of hours.

How common IS this disease? And no way to prevent it other than not add angels? Terrible! Is this an outbreak that's happening? Do we need to have to worry about it now more than ever?

How common IS this disease? And no way to prevent it other than not add angels? Terrible! Is this an outbreak that's happening? Do we need to have to worry about it now more than ever?

Ugh... I had a nice lengthy response to this typed out and my internet decided to blink off at that very second and I lost it. So I'll try again and hope I didn't forget anything I was trying to say, lol.

I'm not sure how common it is now, but it is definitely something that merits some research. If I remember correctly it first surfaced in the 80s and wiped out quite a few angelfish hatcheries. Breeders lost their entire stock.

Personally I have come across the disease twice (plus a reinfection that was my mistake most likely) in about two years. Both times my entire stock of angels was killed, and both times the fish came from the same store (Come to think of it, I bought a few juvies from the same store maybe 8 months ago and they all died in qt, I had forgotten about that. Not sure if it was this disease or just general bad health this time though). The reinfection took all of a group of juvies I bought from an aquabid seller, although I think that was because I didn't disinfect the tank or wait long enough before reintroducing angels. At that point I wasn't aware of how long it can stay in a tank, and I got new angels maybe two months after the others had died. These fish were healthy for a few months then withered away, and one by one they had trouble swimming and staying upright and died. I'm guessing the disease was still in my tank and waited until something caused their immune systems to weaken. If not that, they could have come in infected, but the seller I got them from had very good reviews as far as the health of their angels.

As far as avoiding it in the future (of course after the possible carriers have been removed from your tank and the tank has been disinfected) I would highly recommend avoiding pet store angels and instead buy directly from hobbyist breeders with a good reputation for healthy fish. Fish with wild blood may be even better if you can find some, as this seems to be a disease of captive bred angels (there have been lots of problems with angels lately due to bad breeding - fish are weaker and don't have the nice form they did years ago, just ask andy or bob). Chain stores and local fish stores usually get their fish from large scale hatcheries, and the more fish kept in a system the bigger the chance is of them having been exposed to disease. Buying from small scale breeders does reduce that risk somewhat. On top of buying from better sources, you want to be sure to qt all new fish for at least 3-4 weeks, maybe longer. If you notice any fish looking less than 100% healthy, extend the qt until they do. This will greatly reduce the risk of adding anything nasty into your main tank.

It really really sucks having a disease wipe out a tank full of fish. I've been there, and its really depressing. Just don't give up!

This really is scary. I swear, I just noticed one of my angels is smaller than the one she's always swam with, who WAS the same size. She's clamping her dorsal fin, and kept spitting back out food. Her "forehead" (above mouth, before dorsal) seems a little caved in. Every other fish (including the other angels seem fine....but now I'm afraid! Does this sound the same? No changes have been made recently....but I did notice a blue ram has a red splinter looking thing sticking out underneath his belly. But, he's eating fine! Omg, this would devestate me! I didn't even notice until now....

This really is scary. I swear, I just noticed one of my angels is smaller than the one she's always swam with, who WAS the same size. She's clamping her dorsal fin, and kept spitting back out food. Her "forehead" (above mouth, before dorsal) seems a little caved in. Every other fish (including the other angels seem fine....but now I'm afraid! Does this sound the same? No changes have been made recently....but I did notice a blue ram has a red splinter looking thing sticking out underneath his belly. But, he's eating fine! Omg, this would devestate me! I didn't even notice until now....

Not to make light of your situation, but you could perhaps be noticing these markings only now because you're frightened of the disease. You may just have it in your head.
Maybe not. Don't want to be rude or brush you off in anyway. I don't mean to come off that way.

your comment makes me wonder if it's parasites due to food spitting, smaller size and red splinter thing.. I don't keep angels, so don't know for sure of coarse. I don't want to alarm you though, either. Maybe google internal parasite images/read up.. just to be sure. Are they eating?

So sorry about your angels!! I hadn't heard of anything like this before, how awful =(

Back
Top Bottom