Recommendations for Peaceful Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renathen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! First off I would like to tell you a little about my tank so you can understand what I'm going for, and then, with luck, you can help me out.

I bought a 40 gallon fish tank about 3 months ago from a family member for $50. I cycled it without fish and everything and then went out to the LFS and bought me some fish. I didn't have much money at the time so I only got 6. My choices were: 3 Red Serpea Tetra, 1 Marble Angelfish, and 2 (1 male one female) swordtails. A week after I bought them, the female swordtail died, I am still not sure why. The only thing I could think of was she had a little bulge in her stomach area...? :cry:

Anyways, a week after that I bought myself a Betta, because I aways wanted one. I put the Betta in and all of a sudden the Serpea got aggressive. Not only did they start chasing the Betta, they went after my Angel and my lonely Swordtail too. I got rid of them ASAP, they went to my cousin to live with tiger barbs and zebra danios. I must mention they were quite difficult to catch. 8O

So here I am now, for over a month I've had a tank with three fish in it. I hope you can see my predicament. They ignore each other for the most part, the Angel will sometimes buddy with the Betta but not often. I can't figure for the life of me what other fish I could put in there. I want this tank to be really peaceful, no more serpea-like incidents. Maybe some more swordtails? I was also considering some danios of some sort but they are fast swimmers and I hear Bettas arent too fond of them, and my angel is a pretty slow mover too.

I would like to get some algea eaters and bottom feeders in here too, and some live plants eventually. Can someone make any suggestions as to what would co-exist well in my 40 gallon tank? I am sorry for the long posts and all the questions but I want this tank to be a stunning display of habitat and right now it's not looking too good.

Thanks in advance! :D

Welcome to AA, Renathen! :mrgreen:

How about a school of harlequin rasboras? Then a bristlenose pleco and 4-5 cory cats would round out your setup.

If not rasboras, there are many tetras to choose from as well.

That sounds mighty fine! I forgot to mention that I wanted a school of something. I also want to showcase around my angel.

When I got my fish they had some harlequin rasboras there that I considered getting but I opted for the Serpea instead, dumb luck I guess... :(

The wider-bodied tetras tend to be nippier.
Silver tip tetras are nice, or Celebes rainbows! I also agree that you should get cory cats, but instead of a bristle nose, I highly recommend clown or rubbernose plecos. Bristle nose are okay, if you like bristles!

[center:21e914eab9] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Renathem! :n00b: [/center:21e914eab9]

a school of glowlite tetras might be nice. they are very smialar to neon tetras but insead of a blue band the have a reddish gold band. i find them better than the neons because everyone buys neons. glowlites are also great schooling fish so 10 wouldnt be too much for your tank.

You might want to consider gold pristella tetras. They will add a nice shade of yellow to your tank. I have some of them and some glowlites. You could try 5 gold pristella tetras and 5 glowlite tetras if you want two groups of schooling fish.

that might be a good idea robertmarda i tried something similar with neons and glowlites, but im running out of room in m tank for more fish so i had to settle with 2 glowlites and 2 neons :cry:

Speaking from experience, depending on the size of your angel, don't be surprised to find that some of your smaller fish go missing. Cardinal tetras are neat. They're a little stockier than neons, if you catch my drift. ;) Rasboras are great, though. Their behaviour in a school is really fun to watch, much like tiger barbs. Lots of fun. Their schools are way tighter than neons. You'll rarely see loners wandering in a corner somewhere.

You might check out some Boesemani Rainbows, they are a very peaceful and active schooling fish not to mention very colorful! :) I agree some cories would be a nice addition.
I agree with fishlung, your smaller fish may start to disappear with an angel in there....
I had a very colorful tank in the past that consisted of sunburst platies, dalmation swordtails, black mollies and a betta, along with a few cories. They all got along wonderfully.
Good luck and have fun!

BASS

Back
Top Bottom