Recovering from ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbyno22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sat night, all our fish looked great. Sun night, all 4 phantom tetras were COVERED in ich. I slowly raised the water temp (it's holding at 87), and gave the phantoms a salt bath (I have a snail, so I couldn't add salt to the tank). Within hours of the salt bath, the smallest phantom died (he was the worst off). I did a 50% WC each day for 2 days, and we lost the other 3 phantoms slowly over the next 2 days :( Our endlers were acting stressed from the heat (they showed no signs of ich), and after going on vacation for 2 days, we came home to 1 of the endlers dead. The other neon is okay (still no ich), and our neons have a few spots on their fins, but are eating and acting normal (a little slower from the heat, but normal).

I was running 2 filters on the tank to cycle the new one for my son's new 20 g. Do I need to replace all filters and/or wait until the ich is gone before I move that filter to the new tank? Since the endler is not showing any signs of ich, should I move him to the new tank to get him out of the heat? The new tank will be his permanent home anyway. Is there anything else I should be doing? I did a 60% WC just now...

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The temp might be too high, you really only need 80 degrees to kill ick within 3 days. I never used salt, so I can not comment on that.

When I bought black neon tetras a few weeks ago and isolated them, they became infected with ick. I had 80 degree temp and did daily 50-60% water change, making sure I vacuumed the bottom. I also cleaned the filter daily and I over fed them to make sure they stayed healthy. I only lost 2 out of 12. The 2 that died were complete covered in ick with their fins shredded, so I knew they would not make it. I had signs of ick for about a week, now they are in their 4 week of quarantine and seem to be healthy.

I hope this helps and good luck.

What about moving one of the filters to the new tank? Will I have to wait until the ich is completely gone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you move a filter to another tank I would totally clean it out and let it air dry to remove/kill any ick parasite that was sucked into the filter.

Back
Top Bottom