Red belly and fins on a bala shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malfist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got three juvinile bala shark in a 55 gallon tank (soon upgrading to 120 with tax refund!), and the two older bala sharks have lost their luster, and one has developed red fins and a red underbelly. Any idea what's going on?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Bala Shark, newly developed red fins and belly. No streaks. Lost shimmer, a few lost scales.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrites: 0ppm, Nitrates: 10ppm, temp 80F, pH 7.5, test kit: API Master Freshwater Test Kit
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
55 gallons, 1.5 years.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Emperor 400 (added yesterday) and Tetra Whisper 30-60 gallon.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
1 Clown loach (soon to be more), 3 bala shark, common pleco, male swordtail, black ghost knifefish
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Two days ago. Did vacuum the gravel, but usually don't. It's a lightly planted tank. 80%.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
2+ years
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Replaced 1 filter on the tetra filter, added the Emperor 400.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Mix of Kin's Premium tropical flake and Kin's Premium vegetable flake. Also treated them with peas two days ago, and some bloodworms.

I pulled him out to do a methylene blue dip and he jumped out of the container. I got him back in the container fast but I guess not fast enough :(.

Inspection makes me think it was blood, his bottom what devoid of scales. I never saw him flashing. Should I be concerned about the rest of my fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom