Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Lol - had same with an ammonia spike and the novelty of daily water changes wore off pretty quick.

Most of my fish have been pretty common hardy fish at those sorts of high nitrate levels. The angels have been in more around 20 to 40ppm nitrates. A filter clean I have found for canisters is a good way to reduce nitrates.

The nitrates, salt, prime and ph all don't sound alarming - nothing is jumping out. Perhaps if the nitrates spiked suddenly. Which makes me wonder if there was an ammonia spike (that high nitrates has to have come from somewhere) which has now been sorted. These can take up to 3 days to show.

Prime should be ok at 5x but was looking into this. Imo I'd try and get the nitrates coming down into your preferred range and then reduce that prime dosing to normal or 2x as soon as you can. Just in case.

If you have baseline readings for water chemistry in tap you could try retesting to see if anything has changed. It seems pretty hard to pick a problem with tap water as it appears we just don't have the right tests to detect anything they may add extra of. Kh changing is the only one I have found but that probably reflects changing seasons here.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I finally joined the ranks of the 40ppm Nitrate club. I'm also building muscle mass along the way, as I am now a certified bucket lifter . However, the redness in the eyes is very persistent.

I got to thinking... could I have a crap batch of Prime? I mean, my eyes would look like this too if the water had chlorine! And it just so happens that the red eyes showed up the moment I switched from Tetra AquaSafe to Seachem Prime. Argh.

The only other possibility is a bacteria infection, but what? When it comes to meds I don't like treating an unknown.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:58 PM   #13
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I looked at bacterial but it seemed very sudden to have all fish get red eyes at once with nothing else and still eating well. Bacterial could be very quick but it just doesn't sound right. If it persists or gets worse we can look into meds there (eg erythromycin) but would try nitrates and prime at more normal levels first.

If you do see anything on prime I would be interested. Not suggesting it is but always curious
Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Update: Not getting worse, but not getting better either.

Water is now clean, nitrates at 20, everything else at 0.

New theories: What about lights?

Lights are currently two 24" T5 tubes, standard output (not for plants, etc) which isn't much for a 90g tank. But they are not on a timer yet and I did leave them on for 20hrs a day several days leading up to the red eyes. They've been off several days now too, still no change in the fish.

This is so crazy.

Another theory: Parasites. Anyone know of a parasite that affects the eyes? I dunno, I'm really struggling to diagnose and get to the cause here.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I highly doubt lighting as I run some 24/7 during breeding and raising which can be well over 30 day cycles.
Could the fish have had red eyes before you noticed?

Tags
blood, eye, eyes, hot, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com