Red cap oranda HELP 911

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the black moor. He's doing perfect. Don't feed him either for a day or it's ok to still
Feed him. Just less

Thank you from NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to suggest that if the ich comes back, then treat with sea salt (NaCl). That way you can keep running the filter. The dosage is below but lift to this in steps.

[FONT=&quot]A 3ppT (parts per thousand) salt solution is equivalent to 0.3% salinity, or 3 grams per liter, or ~2.5 teaspoons of salt per gallon (~2.5 tsp = 11.4 gm/gal US). This is the standard recommendation for salt treatment for skin parasites and for Ich. A level tablespoon is equivalent to three level teaspoons US/UK (4 Aust).[/FONT]

I have the black moor. He's doing perfect. Don't feed him either for a day or it's ok to still
Feed him. Just less

Thank you from NYC

The black moor should be fine to be fed. Was it ich for sure on the other fish?\

Edit - great ideas from Roz as well.

That was a tad confusing. But I get what your saying hopefully babs "red cap" won't get ich back.

Why do you think his right back fin starts to shred. Literally within 6-8 hours? First that white growth was on in. I rubbed some off (that's what pet store said to do) & 6-8 hours later I come home his tail looks like strings of hair. Just Babs right side. - than 45 minutes being home I see opposite side of tail had those two dots at the end of it.

I just did about 35-40% water change.. Treated new replacement water with stress coat. Than I will add carbon back

I mean.. I had a regular feeding goldfish a few years back when she was all orange and had ick so that was easier to tell that it was ick. My redcap oranda is white so is a little more difficult to see if it was it or not he had a total of 6 to 10 dots the back of his tail I could not tell on his body if he had more the lady at Petland said it was a ick. So I treated it. Ick medicine made my water royal blue at first then just cloudy. It said on bottle that would happen..

And since couple hours after treating the tank with ick medicine & taking the filter out his lips then turn black. And he stopped swimming

I almost regret putting medicine in tank bc he swam and ate fine before I treated tank. I should have let nature take its Course.

I want to thank you both for helping me. You both and at least making me feel like there is hope again after waking up seeing his attached the the filter. ?

I know it must be upsetting; you are doing everything you can for the little guy.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure about the ich.

Do keep us posted - it is almost midnight over here and so I'm off to bed, but will check on your posting first thing tomorrow.

Best wishes :)

It's 9:25am here lol. Goodnight thank you. I will keep posted

I'm going to suggest that if the ich comes back, then treat with sea salt (NaCl). That way you can keep running the filter. The dosage is below but lift to this in steps.

[FONT=&quot]A 3ppT (parts per thousand) salt solution is equivalent to 0.3% salinity, or 3 grams per liter, or ~2.5 teaspoons of salt per gallon (~2.5 tsp = 11.4 gm/gal US). This is the standard recommendation for salt treatment for skin parasites and for Ich. A level tablespoon is equivalent to three level teaspoons US/UK (4 Aust).[/FONT]

I have read that treatments such as this are much better for fancy goldfish than are medicines. Thanks, Delapool - I will make note of your suggested treatment for future ref. with my own fishy family.

Hi, sorry on the confusion - almost my bed time here. :)

I've included a link on cycling just in case useful. Can you add any ceramic bio media to your filter (example in second link)? Carbon is great for removing organic waste (as well as meds) but will also grow nitrifying bacteria after a few weeks. So when you replace it you may be throwing bacteria out. I still use carbon off and on here but it is a small part of the filter media.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Biomax-Bio-Rings-ounces/dp/B000HHSG5M

Yes, I'm hoping there is no ich remaining as it's just extra stress on the fish. At the moment I think from reading above info that water changes to fix your water quality is most important. If possible, I would really suggest getting a water test kit.

JLK will know more but I've never heard of rubbing a fish like that. Rubbing will remove the slime coat and open the fish to infections. Imo I'd forgo that. Loaches in particular I've noticed will produce more slime coat when ich infected to try and get rid of it so I'm guessing that the rubbing plus a stressed fish plus any secondary bacterial infection was just too much for the finage.

Water changes will normally help a lot with fin rot and water quality so I don't see it as gloomy, he should hopefully pull through. The stress coat should help. From memory API stress coat(?) will also deal with ammonia - you would have to google to check.

I just did the water change and stress coat add in tank. Put both filters back in. And I guess it's a waiting game now. He looks like he opens his mouth big holds it's a second then closes it and does smaller breathes. And loosely floats. I have my small catching net taped to side incase filter sucks him again when he's alive maybe filter will catch him

Just makes me nervous watching him
Breathe that way that he's really on his way out.

I have read that treatments such as this are much better for fancy goldfish than are medicines. Thanks, Delapool - I will make note of your suggested treatment for future ref. with my own fishy family.

Almost last post for me. Not keeping up with posts. Got some dry ferts but packet split so cleaning up :(

The ich heat treatment method is out for goldfish so this gives another way. I haven't had ich enough (touch wood) to really comment either way which is best (meds vs natural treatments) except that the more natural methods will work. The main thing I've found with salt is to increase in steps and that if the fish rolls over / looses equilibrium then to do a water change.

I just did the water change and stress coat add in tank. Put both filters back in. And I guess it's a waiting game now. He looks like he opens his mouth big holds it's a second then closes it and does smaller breathes. And loosely floats. I have my small catching net taped to side incase filter sucks him again when he's alive maybe filter will catch him

Just makes me nervous watching him
Breathe that way that he's really on his way out.

Good luck! Um, that's it for me. Keep us posted. Hope he comes good.

Yeah he' loosely moves around. But I just did bigger water change like I said so hope he turns around. Cross your finger. Thank you for all your help really. It means so much

Almost last post for me. Not keeping up with posts. Got some dry ferts but packet split so cleaning up :(

The ich heat treatment method is out for goldfish so this gives another way. I haven't had ich enough (touch wood) to really comment either way which is best (meds vs natural treatments) except that the more natural methods will work. The main thing I've found with salt is to increase in steps and that if the fish rolls over / looses equilibrium then to do a water change.

Thanks, Delapool :)

Are fancies more sensitive to heat than commons/comets? My goldies have been in 80 degree water for like a month now. It does vary and drop down to the 70s, but during the day it's like 85 when it tops out. They get lethargic, but overall they're okay.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are fancies more sensitive to heat than commons/comets? My goldies have been in 80 degree water for like a month now. It does vary and drop down to the 70s, but during the day it's like 85 when it tops out. They get lethargic, but overall they're okay.

Not sure - perhaps if the water quality is not great to start with?

We had a v hot summer this year (Dec-Mar). The water in my tanks got up to 27 degrees (it was mid to high 40s on some days outside). I undertook at least 50% water changes every night while the tank water remained 25 degrees or over. I think it helped keep the water quality and temp bearable for my fancy goldfish.

How is your summer shaping up?

Roz

Believed to be yes but not sure how much so. IMO it would be a judgement call I think if fish got ich and temp close to 86F consistently. Large fish, healthy tank and experienced fish keeper - tempting. Going from low to high temps I've found they can adjust as long as not too sudden - which is the main problem I think. Some thoughts anyways.

Not sure - perhaps if the water quality is not great to start with?

We had a v hot summer this year (Dec-Mar). The water in my tanks got up to 27 degrees (it was mid to high 40s on some days outside). I undertook at least 50% water changes every night while the tank water remained 25 degrees or over. I think it helped keep the water quality and temp bearable for my fancy goldfish.

How is your summer shaping up?

Roz

Let me bust out the centigrade converter-
Were hovering in the high 30s on average, but the humidity is like 80% as well. My goldies are in an aquaponics system so I have done a water change in a month. I tried putting frozen 1 gallon jugs in the tank but the temperature drop was so slight I have given up that effort.
The highest the water has gotten was just over 32, but it has been staying around 27 since I added some shade to the sides of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom