red claw crabs flipping over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mysterem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! Anyone know what is causing my red claw crabs to flip over on their backs? I had high nitrites in the water but have been doing 20% water changes to clear it and I transfered the crabs to a stable tank but they keep slipping over on thier backs!! HELP!

Wow, no opinions from the vast knowlege base of AA! Well, I don't know anything about the crabs, but welcome to AA. How are they now, any better?

Hi and thank you! Well I lost one of the crabs but have the other two in another stabalized 30 gallon and those two are doing fine! Crazy little critters!

Mysterem.... :smilecolros: WELCOME TO AA!!!! :D :D :D

Sorry for the lack of response. I don't know anything about red claw crabs, but I wanted to say Welcome. :mrgreen: :smilecolros:

Just curious....do you keep the crabs with fish? (I heard they will eat most smaller fish) I've never kept non-fish except snails and I'm interested in venturing out. Also, do they eat plants? Thanks in advance for the feedback....and sorry about the one who didn't make it. :(

I have my crabs in with 4 small neons, 2 mollies (+two baby mollies still in a nusery) 2 swordtails, 2 balas and a beta who obviously thinks he is king of the world! :lol: I have not had any problems with the crabs they have been very peaceful and pretty much do thier own thing they are especially active at night. I did have to to some rearranging as they would climb up the plants and climb into the filter where they were happy hanging out but I didn't like them there. They never ate the plants and were pretty good with cleaning the bottom of the tank, they are VERY cute when they eat using thier little pinchers. In my research I found that the crabs were better with other fish than say freshwater lobsters, crayfish and shrimp, just make sure the crabs have places to hide! Right now while my tank is stablizing better we have them in with my boyfriends HUGE cichlid ( around 8 inches long) and a huge platy (10 inches long) and a clown loach and they are fine with those big fish as well

Just curious....do you keep the crabs with fish? (I heard they will eat most smaller fish
I had a FW crab in a small tank (?20gal?) once. Then one evening, to my horror, i glanced over at the tank and saw the crab which had climbed up a decoration, leap off onto a small dwarf ciclid, and begin to drag the struggling fish behind the decorations. The case of the disappearing fish in this tank was now solved! I intervened, saved the fish, and got rid of the crab. What was surprising was that the fish was bigger than the crab, and the crab had the fish gripped with its walking legs, not its claw. Perhaps my tank was too small, but I suspect that the crab will prey on fish in larger tanks too. The fish have to be much bigger than the crab to prevent this.

The only time it appears my crabs are on their backs is when they have molted and its just their old skin. The crabs themselves are fine. I have never seen my crabs just lying on their backs.

Back
Top Bottom