red fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
We need some more info.
What kind of fish? And how many?
What size tank?
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
pictures?

Albino tiger barbs 2 5 gallons no pics it hasn't happened yet with these sets of fish nitrite and nitrate are way to high in danger zone and Ph is about 6.0

Redness in the fins is a sign of ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning. Your brother has some serious water quality problems that need to be addressed ASAP with lots of water changes with temperature-matched, properly conditioned water. I also suspect a 5g tank is too small to keep barbs but Ill let Mumma clarify this.

Yes, tiger barbs require a 20g long and a school of 6+. To keep other fish with them then you need a 29g or larger. Please ask your brother to rehome them and select fish more suitable for a 5g. he is going to have to get in and do some serious water changes or he's going to loose these fish.

That makes the situation even worse I'm afraid. 5 inches is a big fish for 5 gallons of water. RTS require a 55g minimum and can easily kill other fish in 'their territory'. I have one in with African cichlids and he's tank boss (well thinks he is).

Back
Top Bottom