Red Monocle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jojobeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a strange tiger barb... look at the pic!! All my fish have been perfect since introduction about 2 weeks ago. I have been told this could be pop eye, how would I treat it, if there is a treatment, and is it reversible?

Anyhow, it does make for an interesting picture. Mister Peanut's brother? Just needs a cane right?

Thanks for any advice,

-M

Attachments

• DSC00307.jpg
    DSC00307.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 76
You can usually clear up popeye with clean water, but internal parasites also cause it. It is reversible, as long as the eye doesn't fall out. :( It could be a case of popeye, and that is the blood from underneath.
What are your water parameters? How long has the tank been set up? What other fish are in there? What size is the tank?

Where's the sun?!?! ;) LOL (Thought I would throw that in there, since you are having the same weather as me).

Tank has been running for over three months, fish in it for the past two weeks. 20G with 7 tiger barbs, 2 male dwarf gouramis, golden gourami, and 2 spotted corys. I have 13 plants and just yesterday dosed ferts for the first time. Today the water parameters were 6.8 pH, and three zeros for NH3, NO2 and NO3 after a 15% PWC. Was thinking I could up my bioload because of the lack of nitrates... but that's a different topic, but wow no nitrates...?

Enjoyed the sun the last few days, today was, well you know, overcast and rainy. The tank does have access to direct sun if I open the shade. I don't have an algae problem (knock on wood) and the barb doesn't seemed bothered by the popeye in the slightest. He's the biggest and fastest growing of the barbs. None of my fish fight, just a little chasing at times. All fins intact and happy.

In the A.M. I will check again, hopefully the eye stays intact, it was really bulging out!!

-M

Were there fish in the tank for the whole three months or just the last two weeks?
Are you using a liqiud test kit? Strips are horribly inaccurate. :(
If you go to aqadvisor.com, you can type in all your information and it will tell you a rough estimate about your stocking, water changes, and compatability.

I have only had fish in the tank for the last two weeks. I am using the API master FW test kit. Water is good according to the tests. 6.8 pH, and 0 NH3/NH4, 0 NO2 and Less than 5 ppm nitrates.

I think it was an injury to the eye, the redness has gone down dramatically, but a large fluid filled bubble sac is still present. The fish doesn't seemed bothered in the least. Probably just a dominance fight injury.

-M

Well, those test results sound good! Glad you aren't having to deal with ammonia and nitrites on top of the injury. Happy to hear that he is doing better!

This morning, woke up after the power went on and off half a dozen times during the night, checked the HOB filter to make sure it didn't lose its prime, it didn't, whew...

The tiger barb with the red eye, large fluid filled sac, was almost healed up and in a couple days I am sure it will not even be noticeable. Makes things easy when you have good water!

Still a mystery as to what happened, but it's clearing up, so no matter anymore.

-M

He probably just had an injury.
You guys lost power? Wow, we didn't even get a flicker! Surprising, since we have SO many trees here, and it has been really windy.

Back
Top Bottom