red near gills (pics), do you know what it is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idonthavegills

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, for a week this rasbora has had red near gills just on one side
do you know what it is?

I uploaded a photo album set to imgur here
link

Water conditions perfect, no other fish sick.
Also the sick rasbora doesn't act sick. I have isolated him as a precaution

5QzVYGC.jpg

one more thing I forgot to add (sorry)
The red did start on his other side but that side went away after a few 1hr dips with seachem paraguard
The side you see in the shots stays the same.
I'm still doing the dips, he's had about 5 dips in the last 7 days

Does the fish seem to be gasping for air, because in that case it probably has inflamed gills. You should isolate the fish immediately and treat it with aquarium salt and stress coat. Stop aquarium salt after 10 days. Do 75% water changes every day. If this does not work, treat with API Tetracycline or API Erythromiacinand and if the medication you use doesn't have Metronidoxole, treat with Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets at the same time. While you are treating, use aquarium salt and stress coat to ensure that your fish doesn't dele bop any secondary infections.

If the betta is not gasping for air than please respond with more information on his/her appearance and activity.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for responding. Not a betta though, see pic.
Also not gasping. Fish acting totally normal. Not acting sick at all.
But he is bored being in isolation for a week now

Oh sorry, my bad. Thought I was a betta.

Check your ammonia and nitrate. If those are both in check then it is probably natural. Some rasboras have transparent gills which low their blood to be seen through. It is probably natural if your chlorine and ammonia are normal.

Hope this helps!

Hi Tank Girl -great username btw.
No I hadn't what are flukes? I'm going to google flukes as well

Another thing that can cause red gills is ich living in the gills. treating unknown things without a solid diagnosis is always hard.
Why were you suing the paraguard? Was it for this specific thing, or for something else?

In the past, I've had great success with paraguards 1 hour dip process when I did not know why a fish was sick. Also I have found it the easiest to implement and I like that it does not affect the main water column.

In this case I defaulted to paraguard 1hr dips because I did not know what this red was. It did clear up the right side gills of the fish. The left side remains red however

Hi Tank Girl -great username btw.
No I hadn't what are flukes? I'm going to google flukes as well

Flukes are parasites. There are gill flukes and body flukes. They can cause redness around the gills, or you might see mucous. There are live bearing and egg laying varieties. The egg laying ones take longer to get rid of. They are really common and often fish can be infected with them and not show much in the way of symptoms until the infection is really bad. Since you had some improvement with Paraguard, it made me think that flukes or some other parasite is responsible. Prazi is a great medication for this, very gentle and won't affect your bio-filter.

And, thanks for the compliment! :)

PraziPro is working !!
All red is gone and fish appears healthy.
Still in isolation just as a precaution.
This one might be a success story.

Yay!! So glad to hear this! And I agree with keeping him in isolation for a bit longer - never hurts to give them some extra time.

Back
Top Bottom