Red platy - not looking so hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we got our setup and levels good. We decided to try a mix of both Chemical and live cycling.

When we went to the store I intended on a couple snails and shrimp only but she wanted a couple fish and we got basically the most hardy fish you could because I didn't want anything dying on my watch.

1 red platy
1 sunset platy
1 dalmation molly
2 zebra tetra

3 snails
2 ghost shrimp ( should have gotten more of these)

Either rate our red platy right from the store was sluggish and laying on the bottom.
I thought it was shock but even on our second day it barely comes out. It found a hiding spot it likes and stays there. Its breathing very heavily and its movement is very stiff. She/he comes out for seconds but as soon as we approach the tank its back to its spot.
It doesn't even come out for food.
Anyone have tips.
I'm afraid to net it in case of it still being in shock but I want it to eat.
Doesn't look pregnant but doesn't seem to be side floating either.

Any tips?

Everything else in the tank is great and loving life.
After a couple weeks of these when we know everything is stable we'll get some others.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It looks like you added too many things at once - it may not explain what is going on, but it could be stress.

Also, with the number of fish added, you may have a spike in ammonia. Have you tested the water since adding the fish?

What size tank is it? That does seem like a lot to add at once especially on a smaller tank.

Big chance of a mini cycle

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like you added too many things at once - it may not explain what is going on, but it could be stress.

Also, with the number of fish added, you may have a spike in ammonia. Have you tested the water since adding the fish?

Thanks it didnt make it

Its a 29gallon. Lots of Live plants and hiding places.

All my levels seemed fine by my test kit. Cant spout off numbers since IM still learning but going through the directions all my numbers were great.

It was actually already sickly looking in the bag even before being released to the tank and the other fish are still doing "swimmingly" smirk smirk.

I figured Id lose one.
On its last day I took it out and placed it into a quarantine tank to be sure and it just didnt make it.
Guy at the store said if I brought it back to him he would have replaced it but it would cost more in gas to do that. He did place them into one bag and thought maybe they were to crowded for that one fish.
Were on our way to vaca for a week soon so after that we figure the tank should be cycled fully and ready for full on fish.

IMG_20141011_194705.jpg

Back
Top Bottom