Red spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seaver

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, and looking for help for my pearscale goldfish that seems to be sick. He has a red spot on his back, and seems to be haning out in a new place at the bottom of the tank. I've heard different possible causes, or reasons for this. One being the water balance, which was tested today, and is fine. I added aquarium salt, and fugus cure, so I'm hoping this will help. If anyone has some advice, please please please let me know!

Thank you

Welcome to AA! :D I suggest posting a thread in the sick fish section of this website. I wish you the best!

seaver said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, and looking for help for my pearscale goldfish that seems to be sick. He has a red spot on his back, and seems to be haning out in a new place at the bottom of the tank. I've heard different possible causes, or reasons for this. One being the water balance, which was tested today, and is fine. I added aquarium salt, and fugus cure, so I'm hoping this will help. If anyone has some advice, please please please let me know!

Thank you

Welcome to AA! What size tank is he in? Also, it sounds as if it could possibly be an injury, which begs the question, does your tank have anything he could hurt himself on?

Thank you for your reply!
It's a 10 gallon. He's alone, and I don't think he could have injured himself. He's been in there for almost two years, and this has never happened before! I'm hoping it is though! How can I tell?

Thank you, but I tried to find this section, and I can't find it! This is the first time on this site :) I'll keep looking! Thanks!

I'm sorry for being the downer, but that pear scale will need to be upgraded to a much larger tank fairly soon. They can grow to be 14 inches big. Shoving them in a small tank will just shorten his lifespan. (hense why so many goldfish die in those common mini fish tanks.)

seaver said:
Thank you for your reply!
It's a 10 gallon. He's alone, and I don't think he could have injured himself. He's been in there for almost two years, and this has never happened before! I'm hoping it is though! How can I tell?

Well, the red spot would be blood under the skin, so I guess there really isn't a good way to tell, just look at your decor and remove it if it looks suspicious. Fish get curious just like we do... It just sometimes takes longer for them to start exploring. However, Considering the tank size, water quality also sounds like it could be an issue. they are extremely messy fish. You also said you had the water "tested", and you were told it was fine. Where did you get it tested, and were they using strips or liquid? Also, could you maybe give us some exact water parameters if possible? Sorry for all the questions... Just one more! Do you have a filter? (what type?) you are on the right track with the salt and the fungal meds though, so good work!

Dylan, Not such a downer! I was contemplating a bigger tank. Now I know it's a great idea!
Lauren, I got the water tested at the pet store by a very knowledgable fish guy! He didn't use the strips...he put the water in tubes. Water parameters? I don't have all the special equipment for this...sorry!!I do have a filter, but not sure what type it is. It's the one that came wih the aquarium. Should I know these things??? oops :(
Thanks for the thumbs up! I can't lose this little guy!!

The tubes I assume were part of a liquid test kit. (a good thing, means the tests were accurate) I would suggest you invest in an API liquid test kit. (the vials you saw) Test strips are cheaper but truthfully, unreliable. The API test kit runs a bit expensive, around 30-40$ depending on how much your LFS charges. (for acronyms hover mouse over them and they will give you the meaning;) )

seaver said:
Dylan, Not such a downer! I was contemplating a bigger tank. Now I know it's a great idea!
Lauren, I got the water tested at the pet store by a very knowledgable fish guy! He didn't use the strips...he put the water in tubes. Water parameters? I don't have all the special equipment for this...sorry!!I do have a filter, but not sure what type it is. It's the one that came wih the aquarium. Should I know these things??? oops :(
Thanks for the thumbs up! I can't lose this little guy!!

It's ok, so I'm guessing since it was a ten gallon kit, it's a ten gallon filter. I agree with Dylan, definitely invest in the API kit, and look into a big tank or pond. You'll make that API $ back in days! Also, check out the link in my signature on fishless cycling. It will keep you from killing your little guy when he hopefully gets transferred to a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom