Red spot on Betta fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donica_anne

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my crown tail betta got some of his fringes bitten off by another fish, and a few look like they are hanging on but a little shredded....well now one of those bits has turned bright red. And his fins are white, so you could see why i find it strange!! Anyways, i dont know what this means... is it some kind of bacteria? Or just maybe the broken bit of fin is dying and falling off?
My tank is a 2.5g heated at a steady 80F and filtered. Ammonia is 0 and Ph is about 7.5 or.6. I dont currently have a nitrate/nitrite test kit (need to get one!!)
Also i have no other fish anymore and all live plants with a small piece of DW.
I do a combo of full and pwc in a week, since tank is too small to cycle. My last full change was two days ago. And he seems to be acting like his normal self, so my question is, should i be worried? Also i know i can use aqu. salt, but ive heard that carbon filters cancel it out....how true is this??

Ooook, so upon closer examination of his fins i decided its probly fin rot.....
So i went and got a carbonless filter, and bettamax. I completely cleaned the tank, and drip acclimated him to the medicated water.
About an hour later he's just laying on the bottom like hes resting, and coming up for air occasionally.....
Does fin rot affect his whole body like that? Or is it a combo of stress from the change, plus 'funny tasting water' ?
Usually when i change his tank he is absolutely delighted to explore it and stuff....
Im really worried!! :-(

Hi!
First off a 2.5g tank can most certainly cycle! I have successfully kept two cycled 2.5g in the past.
A carbon filter will not remove salt but it will remove medication. Can you post a picture of the spot/fin? If he is reacting to the medication the best thing to do is remove some or all of it. IME fin rot itself will not make a Betta lethargic but if a secondary infection can.

It has faded to a faint pink today....and its all crinkly....

GosmsPhoto1331179467054.jpg
( I dont know why its crooked!!!)

And yay about cycling i was told i couldnt do it in such a small tank! Im gonna try it :)

He very pretty! I can't see anything in the picture I'm sorry. If its getting better that's good :) if you haven't changed the filter cartridge in the last month or two the tank could be or almost be cycled already.
I would just continue with clean water and salt. IMO medication isn't needed at this point. If he continues to get worse or not improve we can look at antibiotics.

Well today he is much better. I think he was stressed from all the changes. He can relax now tho cuz i wont change his scenery for a while. :)
Hes much more active and lively this morning, but i am seeing more fin breakage, and curling....
Baaah! I hope it stops before all his prettiness is gone!!!!!

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm glad he's doing better. have you added any salt?

Yes i added a little over a tsp for a 2.5g after i took about 1/3 of the medicated water out since he was acting funny.
Do i just continue to replace whatever i take out when i do my pwc's?

donica_anne said:
Yes i added a little over a tsp for a 2.5g after i took about 1/3 of the medicated water out since he was acting funny.
Do i just continue to replace whatever i take out when i do my pwc's?

Yes. Let's hope he starts to get better!

Back
Top Bottom