Red spot on fish head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinnmmaddie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My beta has developed a red spot on the side of his head. It also looks as though the top of his head is bowing out slightly (like a dome head) on closer inspection it looked as though the scales were raised slightly in this area. I hope it's not dropsy. He is acting normal and is eager to eat. I recently placed a new rock in his tank, could he have injured himself? I was going to give an Epson salt bath, like I have for other ailments on my fish,but heard this would aggravate wounds. He lives in a 2.5 g. I have had him since last May.

AF1QipOm487Xd8GCd-6e2_Vo3_p50kdjtPZwOVbq24gW

AF1QipPK5Dm3dLHMRo-omLfwNOcgasJVK2AO6UAALwnh

AF1QipNKSGPx8RQUxx8v02F4sr_XU8drAOvnt75MCXQB

AF1QipOx2vjxZC2y30_VS1mNfA7WR9giWIyxnTVDfof5

Last edited:
Your photos didn't post.

What are the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Best practices would be to keep very clean water.

A picture would help.

Have you looked up hole in the head disease (condition)?

Epsom Salt should not aggravate the fish. It can be in his tank at about a tablespoon per gallon, dissolved into the water solution concentration, before being added to the fish tank. Also added in divided portions over the course of 24-48 hours. Then also to keep the new water with the same concentration level as when you do pwc.

I think it's a bacterial infection. Another red patch showed up on his side today. Does this seem accurate? I gave him a salt bath, and put Lifegaurd in is tank, it's the only medication I have on hand. Will this do any good for what he has? He is still eager to eat.

I will try to submit a photo from the other day, don't know why the others haven't gone through.

I think the photos are too large, and I don't know how to fix that.

You can use a hosting site like Imgur or photo bucket. With a link, but it might end up in moderation for review since you have few posts. It can take a little bit of time for someone to review the post and approve it.

I think it's a bacterial infection. Another red patch showed up on his side today. Does this seem accurate? I gave him a salt bath, and put Lifegaurd in is tank, it's the only medication I have on hand. Will this do any good for what he has? He is still eager to eat.

From what I've seen that med is for low level infections only.

Bacterial infection sounds possible (unless recently bought then some external parasites may be the trigger).

Common salt (NaCl) would be worth a try (not sure which salt you used). I wouldn't dose the salt and the lifeguard together just in case.

Other one possible is ammonia or chemical burns so would check water chemistry / increase water changes but it sounds more like a bacterial "pimple" infection. I'd also check the very centre of the infection looks clean.

More of a bruise. There are two, one on the side of his head and one on the back half of his body. I gave him an Epsom salt bath yesterday, did a 100% water change and added Lifeguard. He seems to spazz out when he touches something, not sure if that was just for the minute I was watching him though. He is still begging for food.

They aren't open woulds. It looks like a red pigmentation under the scales, or in the body. is color isn't as bright in general. This quote from the article, "areas of bloody spots, and a distended abdomen", might be applicable. Not positive what 'bloody spots' are though.

A symptom that is becoming more apparent is him rubbing his face/gill area on things and spazzing out when he does. Is this pointing to a parasite?

Start looking close for any bugs on the fish, gills, skin. A pic or 2 would help, the fish could have more than one issue. Look for Ich.

Flashing is also a sign of high Nitrites or Nitrates. So maybe make dure the parameters are good.

Okay, he is now laying at the bottom, and has labored breathing, I need to get him more specific medication. What do I get?

There are no visible parasites, although I'm not sure what to look for. I'm about to buy Furan -2 which is a broad spectrum bacterial medication. Any suggestions?

Wait, that spot on top of his head where I said the raised scale, that kind of has some red by it now. Almost like its a gash. What should be my plan of action?

20170223_121226.jpg

IMG_20170227_163141.jpg

IMG_20170227_163201.jpg

IMG_20170227_163248.jpg

I'm still trying upload photos. I though maybe if I took them with my laptop camera they'd be lower quality=smaller size. Let's see if it works. I took half the water out of his tank so he can breath easier.

IMG_20170227_163941.jpg

Okay. I think I have the attachment thing figured out. Here is a whole picture of everything going on. Red spots on his side and head, as well as raised scales at the top of his head. Sorry for posting so much, I'm just frantic to try to help him.

Back
Top Bottom