Red spots on peppered cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cory frenzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
I have two peppered cories with red spots on their bodies. They’re still active & eating normally and none of the other cories seem affected. I tried to do some research but couldn’t find a definitive answer so I thought I’d ask for some advice. Here are some photos to show what I’m talking about:

Yesterday:
MBH6JBc.jpg
611em05.jpg

One cory has a red mouth and right gill. There’s a small red bump on her left pectoral fin. (Looks like she just ate a bloody steak! :eek:)

JxnVdVL.jpg

The other has a large red spot on her left side.

Today:
JEFKtpE.jpg
8BPRLEq.jpg

The redness has faded on her mouth and gill, but now there’s a red bump under the gill cover.

1k2Aca3.jpg

The red spot has faded a little.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
(Don’t have these right now, I’ll test the water later.)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
40 gal breeder, been running for about 4 months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Aqua clear 50 and a sponge filter for more aeration.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
14 peppered cories
5 albino cories
5 false julii cories
2 yoyo loaches
2 borneo suckers
1 bristlenose pleco
1 albino bristlenose
7 female bettas
10 male guppies
Overstocked… I’m planning on taking the guppies to the LFS and possibly move one pleco to another tank once I make sure the cories haven’t spread any disease/parasites to the rest of the tank.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
The tank has pool filter sand– Every other day I vacuum the bottom and change about 3 gallons. I do a 25% change once a week.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
Since they hatched in August. They’ve been in this tank for 3 months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No recent changes. Seachem Prime is what I've been using.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Primarily a mix of algae wafers, brine shrimp & spiralina pellets. Freeze dried tubifex as a treat and frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp once a week.

Poor babies! It looks like ammonia poisoning. And with it being overstocked it's a good chance the ammonia has spiked up even with water changes. I would suggest at least buying a cheap 5-10 gallon to transfer them to until you can get them a bigger tank. Just long enough to try and get that crap out of their systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Change more water! Lots;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like that's it, the ammonia levels were above 0ppm so I went ahead and moved the albino pleco to a separate tank. I do have a spare 5gal to put them in... If I can catch them!

Thanks y'all, I'm just relieved it isn't some kind of nasty parasite. :)

Back
Top Bottom