Red-tail Shark being a bully!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eunified

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I have been reading the advice on here for a couple of months and just registered as a user. I bought a tank (47 gallon)-bought fish a week later :( and later read about cycling! Most of my fish died (sorrrry! felt so bad!) and didn't buy anymore in order to make sure I was fully cycled. The whole (sad) ordeal has left me with a dalmation molly and a red-tailed shark. My parameters are finally good, except pH is at 6.8. My local pet shop keeps theirs at 7.4 so they suggested bringing pH up with water changes before purchasing any more fish.

My red-tailed shark has become increasingly aggressive to the molly-to the point where my poor molly's tail is split. I see her hiding by the filter all day/night trying to avoid the shark. I've added more caves for the shark to explore, hoping it would keep him occupied but no luck. Should I add more fish? Or try to sell the red-tailed shark? I feel so bad!

Red-Tailed Sharks are known for being bullies. I know mine bullies pretty bad when he gets hungry, but other than that, it depends on the fishs' personality. Some are worse than others. You could try to sell or return him, or maybe when your tank is cycled to get a few more mollies. There is safety in numbers!

That's just my experience, so anyone else please feel free to add to or correct what I said!

I thought red tailed sharks are more for semi-aggressive aquariums. I would try to take him back. Maybe trade for a some store credit to use later down the road.

Back
Top Bottom