Red Zebra gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

castlerock31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently went to a LFS instead of the pet smart that i usually go to to purchase fish. I got two 2"-3" red zebras. This store was clearly a bad choice as they bagged the fish rather quickly out of a small tank with quite literally dozens of them and they have a strict no return policy. Clearly I will not be going back. When i got home I realized that one of the fish is considerably less colored than the other and has deep redness around its gills. I am aware that some fish are more colorful because of their sex or for dominance reasons but the redness still concerns me. The apparently healthy fish is doing well in my cichlid tank and I have quarantined the other in a ten gallon. I have only had them separated for about 24 hrs. How long should I wait before adding him to the tank if no further symptoms develop?

These would be them

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130329_164036.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130329_164036.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20130329_164045.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130329_164045.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 60
I am quite confident it is. Though, I suggest researching this topic on google or any other research engine.
I wish you best of luck!

That's normal coloration for Maylandia estherae around the gill plate, nothing to be concerns with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom