Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2017, 04:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Reddening of fish and then gradually dieing

I had a stable aquarium for a year. Suddenly l can see thaltl my fishes are gradually turning red from fins and eventually they are dieing. Please help me as I really don't know what to do.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by razahmed View Post
I had a stable aquarium for a year. Suddenly l can see thaltl my fishes are gradually turning red from fins and eventually they are dieing. Please help me as I really don't know what to do.

What are your tank readings as of right now? My guess is something cause an ammonia spike.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Still two fishes are red, what should I do to save them
Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by razahmed View Post
Still two fishes are red, what should I do to save them

Do a water change or transfer them to another tank if available.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Actually I made two more new aquariums, one is two weeks old and another one just a week old.
These tanks have not yet completed the cycle hence restraining to transfer the fish to these tanks.
Should I stop feeding the fishes for a few days and the see?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH readings and do you know the GH and alkalinity /KH?

Do 4 pwc of 25%, that way the change in water parameters will be gradual to allow as little shock as possible to the fish. Do 2 back to back then wait a couple hours and do 2 more.

Check the water parameters again.

If not in safe zone, do 2 more back to back.

Yes, skip feeding for a day, and feed very, very lightly but AM and PM. This will allow the food to be eaten quickly and also not fall to the floor and be ignored. Less food, less waste eliminated, less ammonia, less food turning to ammonia.

What is the temp of the tank?

Add an additional air bubbler. Or reduce the water level a couple inches and get some good splash going to add more aeration.

Are the gills bright red or brownish. Brownish would indicate Nitrite poisoning.

Have you changed the filter pads recently? If so you could be experiencing a "mini" cycle, not having enough Beneficial Bacteria to proces waste effectively.

If you have Prime water conditioner you can use the maximum recommended dose for emergency treatment.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Since yesterday, I could see a bit of activity with the fishes. I think you all are correct the tank has suddenly gone out of cycle and the ammonia levels have gone high. I had to pay a heavy price and lost lot of fishes some were more than year old.

Yes I did see the fishes which died their fins turning grey. Still two of the fishes have grey fins but they are showing now some activity.

I think that peak level is reducing slowly.

I think I can recollect the mistake I did. I suddenly introduced eight new fishes to the old tank, that caused this unbalance. This was to reduce the load on the two new tanks. In the bargain I lost all y new fishes in the new tank and also old fishes in the old tank.

I thank each and every one who gave time to my concern. Its really sad to see such things happening. But we learn by our mistakes.

thank you once again.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Keep up the water changes and make sure the water stays in a safe level for all the parameters. Monitor water frequently. If you get a bad /unsafe reading, then check more frequently until things stabilize again. Keep the tank well aerated because the fish have injuries / damaged gills (can't take in as much oxygen as before) and need help _ best for extra clean / safe water & more availble air.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, dieing, fish, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com