Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Reddish white bumps on Blue Gourami

Doing all my tank transfers obviously put a good deal of stress on my fish.

My blue gourami is now in the 90g.
Before he was housed with a pearl gourami among other fish (in the emergency tank in the basement, so I didn't spend much time watching that tank for 2 months), and they had scuffles now and then, so I thought the little bit of fin damage was from nipping.

Once in the 90g with only peaceful fish, I noticed his fins got slightly worse over a couple days, instead of better. So I just treated the whole tank with melafix antibiotics for fin rot, instead of quarantining an already stressed fish. Shouldn't be a problem, since all the other fish were handled recently too.

When I started treating, I noticed he had 2 spots, 1 on his side mid-body, another on the other side, down near the tail fin. They are very tiny, reddish white raised bumps. Can't quite tell if it's fuzzy, scabbed, or just raised/discoloured scales.
I initially thought the antibiotics would help this too, since it kind of looks like an open wound.

Fin rot is almost gone (Day 5 of 7 day treatment), but these 2 spots haven't changed in size or colour.

Possible fungus or parasite?

Tried taking pics, but my effort was futile, and 50 pictures weren't detailed enough to show these tiny spots.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

What are the tank parameters?
Be careful using melifix on gouramis. Like bettas they don't usually handle a full dose. Melifix isn't an antibiotic but does help with minor afflictions.
I had a similar sounding problem with my dwarf gourami.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Injured dwarf gourami.
Here is the thread on mine. We never did figure out what happened to him. It started as a red/white bump/pimple thing near his tail and progressed into a open wound. The same thing happened on the side of his head. I suspect HITH.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Doesn't sound promising. I haven't heard of blues being sensitive to meds? I've done a lot of reading too. I do know that blues and dwarfs are far more susceptible to not only water quality, but the air quality in the room.
Can they get HITH else where on the body? If so, is it the same thing, or just named different according to where it is?

Some good and bad news;
Fin rot looks good and healed, the small mark by his tail looks like it shrunk.

but..

The bigger spot on his side, is a little bigger, more raised and red.
The redness and raised part actually looks like a "C" now, as if some one dug their finger nail into it or something?
Antibacterials obviously aren't helping this, day 6/7 of treatment.

Still acting normal

(P.S. meant to say antibacterials, not antibiotics. For fin & tail rot, open red sores, open body wounds, cloudy eye, pop eye, body slime & mouth fungus)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koikid88
Doesn't sound promising. I haven't heard of blues being sensitive to meds? I've done a lot of reading too. I do know that blues and dwarfs are far more susceptible to not only water quality, but the air quality in the room.
Can they get HITH else where on the body? If so, is it the same thing, or just named different according to where it is?

Some good and bad news;
Fin rot looks good and healed, the small mark by his tail looks like it shrunk.

but..

The bigger spot on his side, is a little bigger, more raised and red.
The redness and raised part actually looks like a "C" now, as if some one dug their finger nail into it or something?
Antibacterials obviously aren't helping this, day 6/7 of treatment.

Still acting normal

(P.S. meant to say antibacterials, not antibiotics. For fin & tail rot, open red sores, open body wounds, cloudy eye, pop eye, body slime & mouth fungus)
It may or may not be what mine suffered from but from what you described it sounded the same. Labyrinth breathers are sensitive to melifix and Pimafix. It can cause damage to the labyrinth organ. There is a product called Bettafix. It's melifix but diluted. You can use the melifix just at a lower dose (1/5).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_...l_line_erosion

I'm glad to hear he is doing better with his fins. I don't know what else to suggest in the way of meds. (don't have much experience, can't buy any decent ones where I am) Keep his water as clean as you can and do some research into HITH and see if that's what your looking at.

Tags
blue gourami, bump, bumps, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com