Removing filter while medicating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slade428

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two of my tetras look like they're developing ick... they have a few white speckles on their bodies, but the others in their school don't, nor do any of the other fish in the tank. I was planning on starting the tank on medication to treat the ick, but it says I'm supposed to remove the filter while I do this.

Will removing the filter effect the water parameters? The tank is fully cycled, and I don't want anything to hurt that. Should I keep the filter in a separate bowl of water while I treat the tank? Thanks!

I also have 4 platys, two african dwarf frogs, and 7 peppered corys... Can they handle temps that high?

i used chemicals and removed ich in 4 days, but its not that you remove the filter, you remove the CARBON in the filter. cycle some non-carbon filter pads in with the carbon pads for 4-6 days, then remove the carbon pads and start the medication. the non carbon pads wont absorb the medication chemicals and you should solve the ich problem :)

I'd rather treat ick naturally if possible... I just need to know if raising the heat will affect the other fish in the tank. To reiterate, I also have 4 sunburst platys, two african dwarf frogs, and 7 peppered corys in that tank. And two very small snails.

So no one can tell me if raising the heat enough to get rid of the ick will be ok for the other members of the tank?

slade428 said:
So no one can tell me if raising the heat enough to get rid of the ick will be ok for the other members of the tank?

The fish will be fine with 88F temps ... Not sure about the ADF With those temps... So those you can separate since they don't get ick. ADF's are sensitive to MEDS, so you'd have to separate anyway.

Back
Top Bottom