Rescued a sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was visiting my LFS recently, and they gave me a sick halfmoon for free.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391530933.758287.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391530956.585389.jpg

I feel so sorry for him, his beautiful tail and dorsal fin are almost gone. Because, I don't have a hospital tank at the moment, I'm housing him in a breeding cage in my 40g, I'm hoping it's not too late for his fins to grow back to its original state. There's also a wound/sore near its gills. Can anyone please tell me what it is? I don't believe it's columnaris, if it is I'm taking a huge risk housing it in my 40g.

I'm gonna be posting weekly updates on his progress. Hoping he will turn out ok.

To me it doesn't sound like cotton mouth. I've always had some fish have white spots on the mouth when it was there. On the body it was more like a bruise (or lesion) and/or a fine white web around the top fin and/or colour loss in patches.

Pretty betta!!! (Said like a 5 year old little girl) such a shame he got so bad but YAY he has someone to love him now!

To me it doesn't sound like cotton mouth. I've always had some fish have white spots on the mouth when it was there. On the body it was more like a bruise (or lesion) and/or a fine white web around the top fin and/or colour loss in patches.

That's a relieve! Now I'm confident that he will make a full recovery! :) thanks

So it's a little over a week and I've since moved him into a bigger breeding box giving him more space to move!

He's made good progress from day 1. His wound/sore is almost gone, there's only a "small" hole left. I've read that it could be a result of malnutrition so I'm feeding him NLS exclusively. Is there anything else I can do?

His fins are somewhat the same, maybe that is just me because I see him everyday. I'll try to take a good picture of him later. Nevertheless, it's not getting worse, so that's a good start! It also took me a while to get him eating again. He wasn't showing any interest in food after day 3, so I I spent the next few days feeding him with a tweezer. Eventually, he took his first bite!

Yay, he looks a lot better. I hope his tail grows back. Only time will tell I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom