Rescued pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tali931

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found a very unhealthy 2 inch common pleco on craigslist. The poor little guy was cramped in a 30 gallon with a full grown jack Dempsey cichild. He is missing about 50 percent of his fins and doesn't want to eat. The previous owners gave him an algae pellet once a week so I know he is badly malnourished. Is adding melafix and introducing veggies to his diet enough to bring him back to health? Any extra advice would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to loose him. Also will his fins grow back with time.. Here is a pic..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 115
Make sure you have driftwood and give him a hidey-hole for sure. Half-buried cup, tube, broken pot, some type of cave for him to hide in. I would just do a stress coat instead of melafix as he's not diseased and it doesn't look like he's got infection. Unnecessary meds can sometimes hinder more than they help (many put stress on the liver and such plus then bugs become resistant to them)

Thanks for such a quick reply.. He has driftwood and hiding spots in the tank. My biggest concern right now is him not eating .. Also I have a blue phantom pleco in the same tank that tends to be more agressive so I guess I have to just keep an eye out on things.. If the previous owner only fed him one algae pellet per week is there a way to raise his appetite?

Well, they are nocturnal, and my BN is VERY shy (if I come in the room >zip!< he's gone) so you might put some blanched zucchini on opposite ends of the tank (so competition isn't a problem) and leave the tank dark and quiet (if possible, you could throw a towel over it) it might take some time, so just take it day by day. He's in a better place now, so hopefully he'll start looking up.

When rescuing any starving animal they need to slowly build up their eating ability, so patience and yes, watch that your other pleco isn't harassing (hey I was here first!) lol

Thanks again..turned the light off hopefully he makes it.. Here's a better pic of his chewed up fin..guess I just wish there is more I could do for the poor little guy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 95
time and clean water will be his best friend I think :) good luck and keep us updated

Poor little guy, following this so keep us updated on his progress.... How can you only feed them once a week pftt ...mine has 2 sometimes 3 wafers a day ! And veggies ... He's huge :)

Poor little guy is completely lifeless.. He hasn't moved at all in the two days I had him even in the dark he just sits there motionless. So far I tried feeding him cucumber, peas and sweet potatoes( stuff my other plecos go crazy over) he hasn't ate yet since I had him but he seemed to finally find the driftwood in the tank so I guess that's a good sign?

Poor little guy is completely lifeless.. He hasn't moved at all in the two days I had him even in the dark he just sits there motionless. So far I tried feeding him cucumber, peas and sweet potatoes( stuff my other plecos go crazy over) he hasn't ate yet since I had him but he seemed to finally find the driftwood in the tank so I guess that's a good sign?

Its so sad.. But so nice of you to keep him and try your best for him.
I find my little bn doesn't really bother with the wafers although he love cucumber.. he's happy grazing the sand and eating the driftwood .. Im on my second piece ! Hope he doesn't eat all this one its a lovely piece..
Anyway can you drop some sinking pellets in ? Over feed with flake food for a couple of days so he can graze something off the bottom ... Just a suggestion ..
Really hope he make it ... Gets me really mad when people don't look after fish ... Especially when they say "its only a fish" grrrrrr

I'm also interested in this because, my BN pleco is NOT a hardy eater. I will leave zucchini or cucumber in the tank (often overnight) and he doesn't touch it but maybe once every week or two. I assume he is getting a little off the leftover flake and his poo (there is plenty!) looks like driftwood to me.

Edit: He is 5 inches and quite fat looking to me.
Also, he is SUPER shy. Like I never see him unless I creep on him at night. Well, I see his nose. And the tip of his tail.

So I just took a peak in my tank and have great news.. Spike is eating cucumber:):) He's also been more lively, guess he realized that there is no agressive fish in my tank so he isn't a swimming buffet. He is also getting along with my other plecos which is great. My son named him spike because his dorsal fin doesn't really have any flesh on it just the spikes looking skeleton but I'm hoping that the fins and tail will grow back fully with time.
Thanks for the advice everyone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 64
I'm also interested in this because, my BN pleco is NOT a hardy eater. I will leave zucchini or cucumber in the tank (often overnight) and he doesn't touch it but maybe once every week or two. I assume he is getting a little off the leftover flake and his poo (there is plenty!) looks like driftwood to me.

Edit: He is 5 inches and quite fat looking to me.
Also, he is SUPER shy. Like I never see him unless I creep on him at night. Well, I see his nose. And the tip of his tail.

My little bn Henry is a bit porky too.. And same as yours he poops a lot and its mainly driftwood ! He loves it :) remind me to not chew on a pencil again ;) wood must be full of calories lol..

Back
Top Bottom