Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
Just when I think I've heard all the bad advice that the lfs can give......

The only thing you need to remove when treating for disease is the carbon, and that's only if you're using meds. If you used the heat treatment for ich, even with the combination of heat/salt, you would not have had to remove anything.

Now that we know the level of intelligence you're dealing with at your lfs, please be sure to come here and ask first before following any future advice they may give you.
Maybe was not bad advice,,, his media looks like will be still alive, I heard worst.
Plus we don't know if he used meds to treat against the ich....

Regarding nitrates.... I agree that if is less than 20ppm you should be fine...

ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01
Maybe was not bad advice,,, his media looks like will be still alive, I heard worst.
Plus we don't know if he used meds to treat against the ich....

Regarding nitrates.... I agree that if is less than 20ppm you should be fine...
ahem, "he?" Lol add an s on that to make it a she, I did use meds for ich that was before I knew that you didn't have to, I have the temp to 80 in the tank and added a little aquarium salt about a week ago because I had bought a guppy and she had a sore on her body from being in a tank that was EXTREMELY overstocked, other guppies had been picking at her. I did not know if it was ok to mix ick meds with medifix so I just treated for the ick

Old 04-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi

ahem, "he?" Lol add an s on that to make it a she, I did use meds for ich that was before I knew that you didn't have to, I have the temp to 80 in the tank and added a little aquarium salt about a week ago because I had bought a guppy and she had a sore on her body from being in a tank that was EXTREMELY overstocked, other guppies had been picking at her. I did not know if it was ok to mix ick meds with medifix so I just treated for the ick
Lol. Sorry miss...
Old 04-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01

Lol. Sorry miss...
Lol its ok kinda hard to tell with some people just by the id. ok back to business, I did a pwc earlier went and got some driftwood with plants and tested my levels again and it seemed to be lower. How often should I do the water changes?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi

Lol its ok kinda hard to tell with some people just by the id. ok back to business, I did a pwc earlier went and got some driftwood with plants and tested my levels again and it seemed to be lower. How often should I do the water changes?
Your level of nitrates will define the frequency... Keep measuring every two days... I hope that you will see that weekly PWC will be enough to maintain nitrates in check (below 30 ppm).
Some people who really like to keep nitrates below 20 or10 ppm do twice a week PWC. But this is like for more sensitive type of fish like discus or GBR.... I'm almost certain that weekly should be fine with your tank.

Tags
nitrates, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com