Rocks break tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayreee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon breeder tank and I am going to put some Cichlids in it when ready. I need to put some rocks in it. My stand is hollow and I was wondering if it would be safe to put a bunch of rocks in it or if they would be to heavy? Is there something special I need to do to get the rocks in? Thanks :)

You can put some styrofoam under the tank and I would also put a sheet of egg create under your substrate to help support the rock.

Absolutely get some eggcrate - it is easy to work with and you cut it to fit the bottom of the tank. Stack the rocks on it before you put in your substrate, so any moving around of the sand or gravel will not cause the rocks to shift. They can slide and break the side glass as well, so be sure they are stable.

It is not really the weight of the rocks that will break the glass, but pressure points on the glass and/or impact.

Do you guys mean the cardboard eggcrate?

Wooo hooo I have two fishies now :D

Nah, plastic eggcrate is what they meant! Cardboard will disintergrate in no time.

This "egg-crate" is actually a plastic grid used for flourescent lights. You can find 2x4' sheets at Home Depot & the like. (Costs about $7 in town).

Man I love this hobby but it does take patients. I already put the gravel in :( I might as well get it and do it the right way. Instead of getting fish I wont be happy with.

If you have not stocked the tank and have just a wee bit more patience left I agree you will be better off in the long run (assuming this tank will be set up for several years, at least) if you go ahead and scoop out the gravel and get some eggcrate, place your rocks, then add the gravel. The grief it can save you will be well worth the effort. 30 gallons of water, broken glass, fish and gravel on the floor is enough to make you weep! :(

you'll be fine with the rock on the glass.. I got 100 pounds of rock in my tank on the glass ! Nothing else...

Back
Top Bottom