Rosey red with pop-eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a rosey red with pop-eye... he's in my 5g(for now-only tank that's set up that I have)
I bought the meds, but the QT that I used once for my tetra (which is one of those betta tanks that wal-mart sells) is small.
He's in it right now, but he's stressing.. swimming around frantic and such.
And I was going to wait to get my 55g set up so I can put him in the 5g... but I wanted to treat him since I don't really know how long it will take to cycle.

Will he be OK? I mean.. only 4 more days left right?
Yeah, I know it's not good-but it's a hardy fish, right?

I feel soooo bad but didn't know what else to do.
:oops:

Someone please, advice...
He's stressed and not eating when normally he gobbles up his food. Should I worry? Or can I continue treatment in the community tank?

What are you treating with? Pop eye is usually caused by water parameters. How I treat pop eye is to do a large water change and keep doing water changes every day if necessary to keep water parameters pristine. Sometimes I have to treat with meds but I still do water changes, esp in a small tank. Do you have a heater in the tank? An airstone?

Maracyn-Two
No, no heater... the incandescent light heats up the water to about 78 degrees (give or take).
No airstone either. I can make one tomorrow:
using this site : http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/air-stones/77.asp

I'll start doing the water changes everyday now, how long should I do this for(or expect to do this for)?

Oh, and should I stop the meds and return him to the tank? Since I'm going to start the water changes?

Thank you!

I'd keep him in the QT it's easier to do water changes on the smaller tank and leave the bigger one cycling. I'd stop using the meds and see if he improves over the next day. The meds may be stressing him. An airstone isn't necessary but it can help the fish when treating for illness by providing more oxygen, you can also lower the water level a bit for a touch more splash, works just as well in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom