Rotting betta fins - Betta mini surgery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LatinBarbieDoll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright...... I have six betta's at the moment. One of them, which I just purchased... well his fins are rotting.... FAST. His fins looked a little weird when I bought him but I didn't think anything of it. Now his beautiful fins are rotting and I am giving him medicine and it's helping, I mean most of the holes in his fins are gone but they have not grown back and it's been 7 days. I was looking at a website and it said that if a betta's fins are rotting and it just won't stop that you can perform a mini surgery, sort of. You should place the betta on a paper plate and place a damp paper towel over his eyes and part of the body, and gently hold the paper towel in place to keep him from flopping around (not too hard or you might squish him). Then it said that with a soft paintbrush, you should dip it lightly in hydrogen peroxide and brush it lightly on the rotting fins being careful not to get it on the face or gills of the betta, and let it soak for a minute. Then it said to put the betta back in the net and rinse it with water same temp as the tank the fish is in. then put him back in the tank and to do this once a week for three weeks and whatever is rotting his fins will not stand a chance..... I'm going to continue my betta on his meds but if that doesn't work then I was considering this mini surgery...... can anyone give me some advise...... PUH-LEEEEEASE :uhoh:

I am giving him medicine and it's helping, I mean most of the holes in his fins are gone but they have not grown back and it's been 7 days.

If the medicine is working (you don't mention what your using), then I wouldn't take such drastic measures. The fins may take some time to regrow, but if the bacteria that are eatig the fins are killed by the medication...they will regrow.

Right now I'm using something called Bettafix. I wanted to get something like maroxy but my LFS did not have any.

Do you have any idea as to how long they may take to regrow?

Thank you so much for the prompt response!

I doubt it would do much for fin rot, Maroxy is a stabalized chlorine product effective in trating true fungus.

You may consider melafix, I'm not a big fa of it, but I have read alot of anecdotal evidence that it is effective in FW for fin and tail rot.

Do you have any idea as to how long they may take to regrow?

Probably a few weeks to a month.

basically if your medicine looks like its working the most likely it is...you should also change about 10% of ur water before treatment...this will make it more effective also you might want to raise your temperature to 80-82 degrees while treating the fish, make sure your aquarium is well aerated if you raise your temp...don't worry it can take for weeeeeeeks for the fins to regrow after successfully stoping the rotting...keep treating them and try adding some stress coat when you change some water before each treatment..this should help slowly but surely. =)

I wasn't aware that I should change 10% of the H2o everytime I treat them, however I do have the temp in his tank 85 degrees, and I always add stress coat when I change some water in his tank.

I will try the water change but he is actually doing pretty good and has his appetite back. I fed him some brine shrimp this morning and he went at 'em.

I'm still just a bit concerned about his fins growing back but I don't think I should be as concerned as I am, being that everyone is telling me that it may take several weeks before they grow back.

Thank You for your help,
Jessica

They will grow back, they probably wont look as nice as before though. Just keep his water very clean, that will help with growth. Bettafix is pretty good at helping with growth, its basicaly just a weaker form of melafix.

ashley

Thanks for the info Ash.

As long as they grow back then I'll be content :roll:
He is just a regular betta that I rescued from the LFS. :mrgreen:

If that happens to my crowntails......
I don't know what I would do :eyes: :eek2: :bawl:

LOL

Thanks again ashley

No prob! My bettas get torn fins a lot (some are very mean! :twisted: ) I use i little bit of bettafix, clean water, and I also use Almond leaves (which are the greatest!). There fins are usually grown back within a week (depending on how much was damaged)
I love crowntails! What colour are yours??? Iam goning to be getting some from Thailand soon and iam sooooo excited!

ashley

I just received some that I ordered from Thailand (from Atison of Atisonbetta.com).

I ordered 1 male opaque (white) and one female bicolor w/opaque body, and he sent me one extra female!

I don't have my digital cam anymore so until I get another one... all I have is my webcam so I took a few pics of my white crowntail male.... i haven't named him yet.... i was thinking of spunky or spike because when he sees the females his fins flare up and he swims around shaking his lil fins (he is the cutest thing LOL).

white%20ct%20male%202.jpg

white%20ct%20male4.jpg

white%20ct%20male%203.jpg

I will be breeding him in about two weeks or so.

Thanks, I am going to breed him with a female that has 3 black stripes on her tail :lol:

sorry about the bad quality pic :?

Back
Top Bottom