rubber-lipped pleco died???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rachpreach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got him from petsmart last night(may 31st) and they had just gotten them in that day so i figured it wasnt enough time for them to 'kill' them as those kind of stores dont take care of their fish well. Any way but my water parameters are fine. Should I have like a zuccini in there or something? What happened?

How long did you acclimate him for? Making tank switches so many times in such few days could have been stressful for him.

for 15 min. Im going to get another one today so hopefully he wont die

Well, what exactly are your water parameters? and also, what is petsmarts water perameters?

i just meant poor quality fish from petsmart. i dont know where they get fish.
but out of like 10 out 13 have died from me buying there.
and not to mention people i know. i dont even live where she lives. or anything. just petsmart in general.

It's hard to make a generalization about retail stores because they all vary so much. Some bad, some good, some great. They should have some sort of refund or exchange (maybe with a water sample) take them up on it. It could have just been a stressful move. I know from experience that more fish die the day of, and the day immediatley after shipments than any other time, beacuse of stress.

HTH

I believe petsmart has a 14 day policy, but call them and check first to make sure

Do you have any plastic decorations in your tank? Rubberlips are such determined algae eaters they can end up eating some of the plastic too. I know my local Petsmart has a 14-day satisfaction guarantee, one of the most lenient policies that I have seen.

yeah I already returned the dead one and got two new ones. I have live plants in there so no plastic. They are doing ok right now so ill let yall know! thanks for the help!

How did you acclimate? Did you just let the bag sit in the tank for the 15 mins to get the temperature right and then plop him in?

That could be part of the problem. The water in the bag can be much different from the tank water. It could possibly shock them to go through such a change. Slowly adding tank water to the bag will really help them to get used to the water.

Well they are in my 100 gallon tank now and I slowly added them and they are fine and alive! yay!

Back
Top Bottom