ryukin goldfish with swim blatter issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byrdman81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ryukin goldfish in a 35 gallon tank with four others hoping to find a home.

The others appear to be doing great but the one is able to swim around but when he stops , heshoots straight to the top and floats on his side.

When I feed them or even open the lid he takes off for the bottom of the tank although i'm not sure if he's eating as well as the other or at all.

If anyone has any advise on how to help the little guy please let me know.

Such problems seem to be all to frequent with Goldies, they are prone to bloat, float and other swim bladder and intestinal problems.
Unfortuneatly, they are usually very hard to treat, sometimes you get lucky though.
Although I kept several Fancy Goldies for years, I never had this problem, I can however suggest that you try some of the webs Goldfish & Koi specific sites/forums where hopefully you can get quick decisive attention/replies.
Here's a link with links to many different sites,
http://www.fishlinkcentral.com/links/Freshwater/Goldfish/
I wish I could be of more help.

I've treated one of mine for swimbladder ...

Basically, what you've described is either a swimbladder dysfunction or gas in the gut. This can be a result of:
1. improper feeding - floating flakes & pellets, not enough vegetables
2. bacterial / other infections of swimbladder
3. genetics - bent back, etc.
4. ? poor water - high NO3 - maybe a cause

#1 is the easiest to treat - feed the fish some peas (peeled, microwaved for 10 sec in a bit of water, chopped up). In severe cases, you may give a large gold a single of grain of epsoms salt (MgSO4) _ put inside a pea.... others have tried a bath of epsom salt. Also, increasing the water temperature to mid to high 70's will encourage bowel function & clear blockages.

Peas +/- epsom salt is what I would suggest you try first. If that doesn't work, you might try some antibiotics for a presumed infection, but I am not a fan of using drugs blindly.

Of cause you have to make sure the water condition is good ... fresh clean water will only help.

Also, read thsi:
http://www.goldfishparadise.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=79204#79204

Hello,
Thanks for the advise I'm not really sure whats up with the fish,
I noticed now he has some sort of fungus growing around his mouth it's white and he's floating upside down. I tried the peas thing but he won't eat so i'm not sure what to do. Please advise if you've ever heard of this.

Hello,

Thanks for the info. Sadly I did isolate him and he died this morning.
The other fish look great and are swimming around with no cares in the world.

I am looking for a new home for them if anyone has any interest, at this point I have no knowledge on taking care of Goldfish and would love to see them some where better. I give them away if anyone want them. PM me if your interested.

Good News I was able to find a LFS to take them and hopefully find them a good home. Thanks for all of the great info and help.

Back
Top Bottom