S-shaped dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

One of my dwarf gouramis has been bent in an S shape for a while now. I noticed it one evening and inspected him closely, and he seemed to have a small spot of scratched scales right where the bend happened. I figured he had been injured somehow, so I have just kept a close eye on him. It has been a few weeks, and he still hasn't straightened out. Every once in a while he shows signs of straightening and I think he's over his problem, but he always relapses.

He has been eating well, passing normal waste, and has no external signs of a problem other than the bend - scales have healed, he is not bloated or lumpy or bumpy or pale or anything. He is a little bit "sinky", but he swims around fairly normally and is able to reach the surface. None of the other fish in the tank are showing any signs of illness or distress.

He is in a 55 gallon tank with: neon tetras, rummynose tetras, peacock gudgeons, peppered cories, some snails, and panda garras. He's King of the tank, and I cannot imagine any of those other fish bothering him. The tank is kept at 78 degrees, lots of plants, 30% water change per week, water is testing perfectly fine (0 amm, 0 'trite, 5-10 'trate between changes).

Diet is a combination of NLS small fish formula, live blackworms, frozen community mix, and he often picks at the shrimp/earthworm sticks I throw in for the cories.

I am thinking I should pull him out and put him in a hospital tank, but I'm not sure what treatment to give him. I really thought all this time that he had a small injury and was recovering, but it has been long enough that now I'm concerned. I certainly do not want him passing any illness to the rest of the tank, and I also do not want him to be uncomfortable or in distress. He seems to "feel" fine right now.

Might be age, might be TB. If it is TB the spine curves and they start loosing their scales. If it is this, wash your hands and be careful and definitely remove him from the tank as TB is contagious. TB is VERY rare though and there could be other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay, did a bit more research and it could be Dwarf Gourami Disease which can look like TB. It includes sores as well. If it is this disease, it isn't curable and the fish will need to be euthanized. Also if there are any other gouramies in your tank they may well have it too. Remove the sick fish ASAP. It looks like no matter what it is, there is a good chance your fish won't get better. Do you have any good pictures?

Any loss of appetite?

Thanks for the responses everyone. TB was what I was worried about when I first started thinking he was sick and not just injured. I pulled him out and put him in quarantine last night. I also took a couple of pictures last night, but then of course I left my phone at home this morning so I can't post them until I get home tonight.

If it were dwarf gourami disease, does anyone know if a fish can have it for a while and then suddenly show symptoms? Does it have a dormant/incubation period? I did quarantine him for a month when I first brought him home. He has been fine for 4-5 months.

He's only about a year old to the best of my estimation. I've had him about 6 months. I will keep an eye on him and look for sores. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. No loss of appetite. I've seen him poo, and it looked normal. I did notice over the last couple days he has been a little more territorial about his little clay pot that he hangs out around.

I was thinking of trying some epsom salts and a pea in case it's a swim bladder issue from constipation? Although he's not bloated and he appears to be passing waste fine. I guess it couldn't hurt anything. I do have the means to euthanize him if it comes to that. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I won't allow him to suffer if I determine there's no hope of him recovering.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I got a video of Blue Gourami (creative name I know). The beginning is a little out of focus, but at the very end you can see how he swims. He doesn't have any trouble getting around, but he keeps his body in that shape. He ate fine tonight. I have his QT tank bare bottom so I can monitor poops. I can technically keep him in there forever since it's cycled and heated. He doesn't seem to be in any distress, which is the weirdest part of the whole thing.

I did put some pimafix in his tank. I don't know if I should give him a course of antibiotics or antiparasitics or what. I have kanaplex, fenbendazole, and API general cure. I also threw a roobios tea bag in there for good measure.

http://vid977.photobucket.com/albums/ae251/eduller/20141120_181857_zpsttm61zlz.mp4

Roobios? I have that ( love the tea). But what does it do?

Wow, that is really bent. Well as long as he's eating, is pooing and is seperated, what harm in just trying to treat him and if it doesn't work and he doesn't seem to be in pain, let him continue to live like that. But I think it must be TB, I've never seen a gourami with such a twisted back.

The tannins in the tea can have a calming effect. It's also a natural antibacterial/antiparasitic. It works for my bettas. It's a cheap alternative to those indian almond leaves.

Poor little guy. It seemed to come and go and was getting better for a while. I guess I'll just keep in in QT until something changes. I am going to bring him to work so I can keep an eye on him during the day.

Thank you for the information. :) hope he stays happy. :) good luck.

Little guy is still acting totally normal, but he started breathing heavily over the weekend. Gasping and gills moving fast. Still eating/pooing fine, but I'm worried about him. Still no outward marks or other signs of disease. He's swimming fine though he seems even more bent.

I started him on a course of kanaplex. Poor dude. I want to give him a chance, but I won't let him suffer. I'll keep watching for signs of him being in distress.

Sorry to hear about the fish and hope he will improve.

If I may ask, did you use green roobios or the usual red roobios ? I usually use Almond leaf, but it's not the cheapest thing around, for sure. Ordinary roobios would be less expensive, though I prefer the green kind for drinking, which I can only get organic and costs a lot more.

Didn't know it had those properties, very interesting.

I use the regular red rooibos. I get it at Trader Joe's. I have found it works just as well as the almond leaf.

Back
Top Bottom