Sad Betta??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbaeunn

Aquarium Advice Activist
SOo my betta normally resides in a 15g tank with 3 ADF..
I had a blue mystery snail who snuck 2 baby snails home with it, population went absolutely CRAZY!!!! I had to tear the whole tank apart to rid my snail infestation ((it was THAT crazy)) He currently resides in a smaller tank, separate from his frogs, All he's doing is sleeping?? He jst hangs out at the top of the tank on an angle like he's sad or extremely bored.
I am drying the tank and rocks out completely (so I make sure all the snails are gone) and letting the tank cycle back through before putting them back in.

Is he maybe jst sad?? He's eating and everything.. he's jst not active like he was in the other tank.:confused:

What size is the current tank? Water parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's jst a 1.5 gallon bowl.. Yes, I know not exactly ideal compared to what he had but this is his second day and he'll be back in the tank by Saturday, Sunday the latest.

Do lots of water changes...doesn't take much for things to get out of line in a tank that small. Do you have a heater in there with him? If not, adding one will perk him up. He's probably adjusting to the new environment...hopefully he goes back to his old self when you return him to his tank. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's probably a combination of things. Are there any plants for him in the bowl?

For what it's worth my last betta lived almost 5 years in an unheated, unfiltered 1.5g. It had an incandescent light which helped keep the water temp good for him, plus the fact that the tank was in the kitchen.

Good luck!

There's a plant in there.. it's in the kitchen as well. it's about 72° in our house.. not sure what that would make the water. It's a tall tank so there really isn't any room for a heater and it's plastic.
I'm hoping he's jst sad, and with no one really mentioning any concerns.. sounds like he's jst sad.

I do like him, he's still a baby. I got him pretty small from the LFS, he's never once flared or anything and he's lived with several other types of fish.

I completely understand!

Is he still eating? Is there any sort of cover on the bowl to help keep the heat in?

The fact that he's eating is definitely good.....keep us posted, ok?

Sounds good.. Im sure he's super p*ssed about going from a 15g to this, but the snails got completely out of control. hahaha

Lesson learned, never buy another snail without putting it in its own tank to make sure it has no friends hiding under its shell.

Back
Top Bottom