Sad day for my glowlight school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I think I am going to have to euthanize one of my glowlight tetras. I just got home and found one of the biggest ones sort of floating around the tank in the current. It doesn't look bloated and there are no scales sticking out, and there are no other signs of disease. All the other fish seem fine. I guess I'll have to chalk it up to old age- I've had these guys for a while.

I have a cup of ice water sitting in the freezer. At this point I think putting it out of its misery might be the most humane thing to do. :cry:

I am sorry for your loss. :( It sounds like it was just one of those things. If it is floating around I doubt there is much hope for it.

I did it. :( I checked the cup of water and it had a thin layer of ice over the top. When I went back to the tank I found the tetra laying against the filter intake (I'm so glad I have a prefilter). It barely had the energy to struggle away from the net, and it didn't seem to take long once I put it in the cup. I put it back in the freezer just to be sure. I hate being the one to decide their fates; it's so much easier just to find them dead. :(

Sorry for your loss. I had to euthanize my oldest platy in exactly the same way recently....he had dropsy, though. The ice water method is very quick and I think you did right. So sorry. :(

Thanks guys, I knew you would make me feel better. And yes, crazyred, it did seem very quick. He just seemed like he had lost the will to live, as silly as that sounds.

Back
Top Bottom