Sad dwarf gourami deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vexxiang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 2 dwarf gouramis from pet smart. After acclimating them they both died the next day. Did I murder these fish?

PH 7.8, nitrates 5, everything else 0, heavily planted, low bioload.

I put the bag in the water for an hour to equalize the temp, then put them in an isolated bowl and added 1/4 cup of water of aquarium water every 15 minutes 4 times to avoid pH shock, then fished them out with a net into the aquarium, then added some stress coat. One stared at the corner until it died the next morning and the other swam a bit then died that afternoon.

Feel terrible and I'm not sure I want to add any more fish until I've figured out what I did wrong.

Oh, water temp 78-80. I spent 30 minutes at the store determining a good fish for my parameters and now I feel pretty dumb!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like you got fish that were already ill.

It would probably be better to add the water to the bag while it's floating to keep temp stable. You can use a chip clip to clip it to the side of the tank. You also probably don't need to wait an hour before starting to add water. I only wait about 15-30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom