Sad state of 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm so bummed about my 10 gal. I have had it for a couple of years, and have just kept losing tetras, and getting replacements. I was down to three glowlights, and one laid some eggs then died. Another died shortly after her, leaving one sad little guy. He won't eat now, and I"m not sure if it's because he's all alone or what. I don't want to keep buying tetras if they're just going to die.
Parameters are good - ammonia = 0, nitrite=0, nitrate=12 or so
I also have a problem with snails which were introduced when I attempted to actually grow plants...they ate all the plants, but they're eating the algae, so whatever.
Should I just keep restocking with tetras? Should I try some zebra danios? Or should I keep the little dude as happy as possible, and just get rid of the snails when he dies and start over?
I can hardly look at the little dude, he makes me so sad.

It would be best to try to find the source of what's causing the early demise of your fish, rather than to just keep replacing them.

What kind of tetras are they, and do you always get them from the same source/LFS?
What is your pH?
What is your kH? A low kH can lead to pH shifts at night that can cause problems with fish.
How often do you PWC?
How often do the fish usually last?

The tetras are glowlight, and neon. They are always purchased at the same small lfs...dang, maybe that's the problem.
I will invest in some pH and kH test kits. I haven't tested till now, but obviously something isn't working...
PWC - once or twice every two weeks. The last one I did was a bit too much (probably ended up being 2 or 3 full gallons) and the last one died shortly after that.
It's hard to say how long they last; 9months to a year? It seems like when I do a first intro, a bunch die (if I introduce 4, three die, but not necessarily all at once and not necessarily all the new ones).
I will test pH and kH...what do you think about my other details?

Back
Top Bottom