SAE in qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So 5 days ago exact I woke up and saw my Siamese algae eater missing half of his mouth and a bit of his head. So I set up a qt and got him in it as fast as possible. While looking at him I saw a stringy like thing almost like a weird fungus but I wasn't sure.

I put erythromycin into the qt to help treat the wound and/or fungus. He is still alive right now but I can't tell if it's getting better or not. When it first happened, it looked red and "open" but now it's kind of turning the colour of the scales from before.

So my question is how can I tell if it is getting better, should I just euthanize him?(don't really want to though).

I think my male krib was picking on him and he just couldn't get away. It's weird though, they have been in the tank since April and the kribs had a fry three months ago. (Why not another, I don't know but the pair in the 110 have had two since then.) But I think it's the tank had fungus and he was hit the hardest and basically recovered. Then this.
Anyway how can I tell? Will the scale go a certain colour? Will it get worse before it get better?

Well, the best meds for any thing is WCs........I'd do at least 50% daily from now on. It might get worse before it gets better. But SAEs are hardy. Happened to my SAE from my other fish(cray or breeding pair angels), without fungus, I moved it to quarantine and then I just did lots of WCs and it did get a tiny bit worse, and then recovered. If it is going to die, you will prob. see lots of IN-activity, and if its not active for a long period of time especially during the day even after a week, then i'd think about eutha. best way to eutha, btw, is clove oil, they fall asleep;)

Ya I've been doing 25% everyday but it would only help to increase it. Thank you for the advice.

Heres a picture of the tank. My dad made me put in the gravel so u decided to put in some plants. I couldn't get a good photo of him he was hidden when I was taking the picture

Attachments

• image-594438326.jpg
    image-594438326.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 53
If hes in qt, i would second the advice of doing larger pwcs daily followed by dosing meds. Is he able to eat or does he have any interest in food? I think this is a critical factor to consider-if hes injured severely enough that he is unable to eat, things are not very positive. If he can/is willing to eat, i would just watch him & see how he does. Hopefully, he will respond & recover!

He doesn't swim around when there is flakes food but I do believe he nibbles on the algae wafers

Does he normally swim around & eat the flakes? I would really try to watch him to see if he is able to eat anything. Lets just watch & wait & think positive!

Like before this happened everyother day he would eat flakes. I'm thinking or putting some brine shrimp for him. See if it's enough encouragement to get going.
All I have been doing is hoping. Like the new mcdonalds commercial hope good.

Def try some different foods to see if theres anything he might be interested in! Ill keep my fingers crossed for you!!

So far nothing so far toward food but he is still pretty active. Although I think tomorrow is the day

It's alright lots of baby kribs to replace it

Back
Top Bottom