Safe to treat Ich and Fin Rot simultaneously?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozcheez

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently treating my tank for ich, and my tetras are also suffering from fin rot (all the fish have been bought within the last month - new tank, fully fishless cycled).

I'm treating for Ich with Kordon's Rid-Ich + and high temperature. I have Maracyn Oxy for the fin rot - can I treat the tank with that at the same time, or should I want until Ich is gone? These poor fish are having a difficult time swimming the rot is so bad :( No more chain LFS for me :(

If you need more info, please let me know.

Dont combine the meds- there could be potentially bad reactions. Finish treating the ich then do a big water change & run carbon to remove any of the ich meds before switching to a new med. Good luck!

Big water change & run new carbon for a few hours (2-3). Put your cycled media in a bucket/bowl/container of new, treated temperature-matched water while the carbon is running then you can put it back in after. I would keep an eye on your water parameters as well- check them this evening & again tommorrow to make sure all is well. Good luck!

Thanks :) 2-3 hours isn't bad, I was thinking a day or more.

Not quite done with the Ich treatments yet, but wanted to go ahead and get the info so I know what expect. Already I had a mini cycle and a couple pH crashes with the Ich meds. It's no problem to continue testing daily and doing large water changes when needed. Thanks again for your help.

As long as your filters are turning the water over minimum of 2-3x an hour (most of us run a bit heavier filtration than this), 2-3hrs should be more than sufficient. If your filters running a bit less, just add another hr on.

I'm nearly done with the Ich treatments, but it looks like the fin rot is much better. I haven't treated for this at all - can fin rot go away on its own? Their fins appear to be growing back very quickly. Should I still add some maracyn oxy to the tank after I clean out the ich meds?

If the fin rot isn't severe & they seem to be recovering well on their own, there's no need for more meds. Just keep their water healthy & keep an eye on them. :)

You actually don't need meds for either fin rot or ich. Ich can be treated with heat and fresh water and all you need for fin rot is fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom