Safety of Ick Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biondoa

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been treating with Jungle Ick Guard in my 75g. Only the cardinal tetras are infected. I have been treating now for almost 2 weeks. I was concerned about using the medication for so long so I called the 800 number. they said to treat for 5 days, then skip a day, then treat for another 5 days. The bottle label says to continue to treat until Ich clears. I have been doing 25% water changes as directed, prior to each new dose, but I am wondering how long is it safe. I lost 2 of the cardinals, and I am still seeing some spots on a couple of them. Is it ok to keep treating, and how long does this take? they say you don't have to raise the temp, but I did raise it to 82 degrees to speed up the life cycle of the parasite.

I though I read the exact same story a week ago?

Did you remove the carbon out of your filter? It filters out medication, so your ich guard have no or less effect..

Why not throw them in a bare ten gallon tank and treat with a little Aquarium , salt raise the heat, and keep doing partial water changes. IDK what the ingredients of "jungle ick guard" are.... im more of a scientific name type guy, but if its Malachite/Formalin, then you can use it as long as needed as long as you give them a break every few days.

My reading does say jungle ich guard is M green and formulin.
M.green can become toxic but todays version is not as powerful as long ago.
I will say the BB tank sound important or better cleaning of the tank as ich with those two meds in force should be on its way out in 7 days,with meds being used for another 5-7 days not to be seen again.
Are you vacumming the tank sub?
Is the tank clean enough to allow med to stay in force as nutrient rich water deteriorate meds very quickly.
Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
Best link on ich I offer.
You got to kill it .
It is pretty easy to do.
I use rid ich plus.

Thank you for those two great answers. Yes to Malachite green and formalin. My tank is very clean, and as instructed by the label, I do a 25% water change daily with vacuuming the substrate, before adding the next dose. Today was the second 5 day period so I did nothing today. From what you have told me, it is safe to continue treating as of tomorrow. I have now lost three of the cardinals, but the rest are looking good. Most showing no spots at all, and a couple showing just a few. I will be so glad when this is finished. Thanks again for the answers I was needing.
Unfortunately my 10 gallon QT is busy now with some nice threadfins.

Back
Top Bottom