Salt & 86 degrees - affects on Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quake2player

Aquarium Advice Activist
Excellent sticky on the Ick Treatment here!

When I get home later, I intend to start to increase my temp to 86F and add some salt into my 29gal as I noticed ick (or what appears to be) on my 1-German Blue Ram. The rest of the tank seems fine: 11-neon tetras, 3-rosey barbs, 2-skunk cats, 1-cory cat, 1-singapore/wood shrimp, 5-ghost shrimps. I am using an Emperor external filter w/1-biowheel, reverse flow UGF, just started on a few plants. The ram has a couple of white dots on his back fin, one on his forehead and 1-2 on each fin. He eats and doesn't show any other bad symptoms, perhaps that will eventually change.

I searched quite a few threads and didn't see anything on how salt and increased temps will affect the singapore/wood shrimp and the ghost shrimp. Anyone know?

Acclimate the tank slowly with salt!!! The shrimp will most likely prefer the salt, but Cory cats are not very tolerant of it, so add it slowly, in small amounts! The ghost shrimp will probably become quite active at that high a temperature, but I cant speak for the wood shrimp.

My gut feeling is that 86º would be precarious enough for the shrimp, and the addition of salt would increase the likelihood that the cure, in this case, will be anything but for your inverts.

Thanks for the link JohnPaul. I signed up for that forum there and they are very helpful! Salt and 86F won't affect my shrimps, and I am slowly adding in dissolved salts for the past 2 nites and increasing temps to rid of the ich. So far, so good.
And yes, some shrimps are more sensitive than others... mine are ok.

Let us know how they do. I have treated for ich with high temps alone, and with a combo of heat and salt, and saw no better results when adding salt - it does help the fish tolerate the lower O2 from higher heat. Lowering the water level to create splashing has a similar effect if you want to skip the salt for the sake of corys.

Back
Top Bottom