Salt and high temp in a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
It looks like I might have the dreaded ich....in my 90 gal planted tank.

I am going to raise the temp but I am wondering if I can add salt to the planted tank and if so what level would you recommend? Should it be less than you would otherwise add?

I am so bummed since this is my discus tank. :(

I lost two cherry barbs today and a couple more look to be covered in the little white spots. Impossible to catch them in the 90 gallon planted without taking out all of the plants. I noticed that one of the clown loaches I got a couple weeks ago seems to have it also and I think that might be the original culprit since I had the rest of the fish for a year before adding them with no problems....although I have also added plants recently that could also be the source. I am so bummed..... :(

I have the temp at 85.6 righ now and am raising it to 88 by tomorrow....Can I /should I add salt in a planted though? And is 88 high enough? I have read something somewhere (I forget where) about a high temp resistant form of ich???

Last edited:
I would worry more about the discus than the plants. The plants wont like it but they will handle it. I would try heat alone first and see how everyone reacts. Good luck. Remember to up the aeration.

I've never used salt in my ich treatments. The temp you have is fine, make sure you're above 85, that's the key. Most recommend 86-88 to ensure you've exceeded 85 due to potential inaccuracies in thermometers.

Aeration is going to be the key. Warmer water doesn't hold O2 like cooler water does, so keep a close eye on your fish. Adding an airstone can prevent issues by ensuring they have enough oxygen.

The funny thing is my temp has been 84-85 for the last couple of months, it seems strange to even have an outbreak of ich at those temps...but what can you do but deal with it right?

I just checked it first thing this am and it looks like I might have a temp drop of a degree in the night since the house is much cooler. Perhaps that is part of the problem. I will have to crank up both heaters I guess instead of just the one I increased yesterday.
I hope the discus survive this. They were healthy and beautiful when I put them in the tank a couple of weeks ago. :(

Happygirl I did not think clown loached tolerated salt well. someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

Short term salt is not a problem. It is only long term that it is bad. The plants probably won't do well. But they probably won't do well with lots of meds either.

I just turned my co2 way down and added an airline....I don't have a stone to diffuse it but I put it way to the bottom clipped to the side so it is large bubbles but they are breaking the surface a lot. I hope tht is going to be ok as I will not be going to town until Monday.

It is interesting to me that the cherry barbs seem the most affected. Two cherry barbs died yesterday and a few more are flipping and flapping convulsively. I tried to catch them and of course they stop doing it long enough to hide. One clown loach is the only other fish in the tank that seems infected although I know that can be an illusion.
I just turned up the second heater.

On top of all this my kids and I have a terrible head cold....so much fun at the Stevens house today....lol.

I am so sorry all of you guys are sick. including your fish I hope you all get better soon.

Thank you, ibuprofen is my friend today. :) I just got done watching the tank for several minutes and a lot more are infected today that didn't appear to be yesterday. The temp is 86 right now according to my glass thermometer and 85 according to the digital one. Now it appears that three of the 4 clowns are scratching themselves on the gravel.
My 4 discus are still hiding behind plants too much for me to inspect them very well but they are not scratching like the other fish are. They are 4 inch fish so I am hoping that they are mature enough to handle all of this. They like the high temps so don't expect a problem there. I am just sick to my stomach thinking that I spent so much money on all of these fish just to infect them with ich......oh man....I am so beating myself up right now.

don't beat yourself up. You could not have know that this would happen. You are a very good fish mama. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I wonder which thermometer is more accurate. The glass says it is at 88 now but the digital says 86. I will watch it for another hour as it has increased a degree since I cranked up the other heater an hour ago. and if it is staying stable I will crank up the other heater.
I think I will go ahead and start adding salt too.

*edit*I started reading up on salt....1 tsp per gallon.....in a 90 gallon? That's a lot of salt. Does that sound right? I have also read 1 TBsp per 5 gallons...so now I have no idea how much to add. I will be bummed again if this kills my plants but they are much more easily replaced.

Last edited:
I would trust the mercury over the digital.

Again, I dont see a need for the salt. The more aeration you can provide the better, but it sounds like you've got it covered already with your airpump. It's the bubbles breaking the surface that matter, i think you have plenty.

Should I continue to feed them as normal? I have not fed them yet today and they way a lot of them look I am not sure I should. But I suppose I could just vaccuum out anything not eaten. I did a 60% pwc yesterday

Feed a little, if they eat then go ahead and feed as normal. If they're not eating, then obviously you don't want a lot of waste building up. It won't hurt them to skip a day or two of feeding, though.

I feed my fish when they have ich. Some of them ate, others didn't. Either way I'm sure adding starvation into the mix can't help.

THats a big PWC, that oughta help. Up above 88 the ich has nowhere to go but away, so after that point it's only a matter of time.

I can't guarantee you the ich is from clown loaches, but I bet 99.9% it was. Everytime I got it, the C. loaches got it first.

I read 1 TABLEspoon per 10 gallons is a safe bet generally, but don't know a thing about discus. I bet your plants would be fine and agree that you need to worry abou the fish more.

Sorry to hear about your troubles happygirl, get that temp up and all will be well! Stupid clown loaches. I love em, but am afraid to get them again. Mine never do well. They seem quite weak and fickle to me.

Stupid clown loaches. I love em, but am afraid to get them again. Mine never do well. They seem quite weak and fickle to me.

Yeah.....what up wit dat? Totally sucks.....I may keep doing the pwc every few days, as I think it can only help.

The fish seem to be thrashing less now. The temp is 89-90 now depending on which termometer I am reading.

I am right in assuming that is high enough? I don't want to cook them.
And how long do I keep it there?

That temp should do the trick. Keep the temps up for two weeks after the last visible signs of the ich are gone.

A million thanks to all of you. :) I have not experienced ich in over 10 years. I didn't have AA back then, thankfully I have all of you now. :) I sure appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom