Salt treatment question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have just setup my 30 gal salt water tank, in my 26 gal bow front I have a fish with ick BAD. I have heard of dipping fish, can I dip this fish in my sw tank for a min?

I don't think I would dip them but I would add a litte aquarium salt to the FW tank. don't use any of the ocean products something like kosher salt is what you need.

I wouldn't suggest it. You can do salt dips, but you'll need to have the salt levels exact, and need to be able to pull the fish quickly if it gets too stressed. You also don't want to take a chance on introducing anything into the SW tank; FW ich won't survive in there, but some other infections might.

There's a great write up on dipping discus here: http://article.dphnet.com/cat-02/columnaries.shtml . Its about halfway down the page. I suggest you follow the directions for a 2% dip, but do not dip for more then 5 minutes. Discus can take longer periods.

Well I didn't have to dip him after all, when I got back from Bernie's (man what a store). There were no traces of ick on him. Now all I gotta do is keep the temps up for 7 more days :D

Back
Top Bottom