Scared Comet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey there! I'm not quite sure if this unhealthy or not but I couldn't find something like it on Google. So I've had this comet goldfish for about a year now, and it's usually the crazy fish of the tank. But lately it doesn't move around that much when I turn on my light and walk in, and instead it just swims in one spot. It's like it's shy an scared when me or my light goes on. I've done tests and discovered that when i shut all the lights off he is active and interested with its surroundings. It's in a 20 gallon tank (I know, too small, i'm working on it) with a Ryukin, a Blackmoor, and a small lionhead goldfish. I do frequent water changes due to the size of the tank. He's the same size as the big fish so I don't think he's getting beat up or anything. His main buddy is the baby lionhead (which is really starting to grow). They follow around and when one stops the other stops. I also found that the comet doesn't eat when i give the food, he only likes to bottom feed when in the dark or when i'm not around. The same sometimes goes for the lionhead. If any of you guys know what's up, I would really like to know. :fish2:

Comets are very sensitive to light, they don't really enjoy a bright tank. I remember when I ugraded a while ago when I still had my comet, he went NUTS like darting all over the tank in a crazy manner.

Hhahah thanks! But why doesn't he eat in light? Same reason?

He may be stressed. If you put the comet in a pond your tank would still be terribly overstocked- its to be expected that stress levels (and toxin levels) will rise as the fish grow. You'd be surprised at how much faster your fish would grow if they had an adequate sized tank and water change regimen.

He may be stressed. If you put the comet in a pond your tank would still be terribly overstocked- its to be expected that stress levels (and toxin levels) will rise as the fish grow. You'd be surprised at how much faster your fish would grow if they had an adequate sized tank and water change regimen.

+1
I have to agree on the stocking. This combined with likely high toxins will be enough to stress any fish. This really needs to be addressed as soon as possible before health and other issues such as aggression and stunting occur.

Ok, I will try as good as I can. I feel so bad for him. Thanks for the information!

Agreed. Tank is way too small for four goldfish. Comets require a bit more room than fancies. I have four comets in a 120-gallon with two FX5 canisters for filtration.

Comets are faster and will possibly dart or hide if lights suddenly turned on from darkness. Fish don't have eyelids so think about how your eyes hurt if suddenly exposed to light from a dark room. You have the benefit of eyelids to reduce the light entering your eyes until they adjust.

I have smaller lights on my tank that come on before main lights. Sort of a sunrise effect. You can try a lamp or room light for a bit before turning on tank light.

Also you definitely need to upgrade ASAP. Stress will ultimately lead to illness.

Also have you treated for flukes? This is a common infestation with fish. Prazipro is safe and effective.

Nice, thanks for the advice. Will try to do a sunrise effect. Where could i get such a big tank? I'm in British Columbia, Canada.

Nice, thanks for the advice. Will try to do a sunrise effect. Where could i get such a big tank? I'm in British Columbia, Canada.

You could always try Craigslist to look for a used tank and stand.

I got mine at PetsSmart. Not sure if they have stores in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom