Scratching against things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGaffer27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Nuts.

I've got 2 of my fish who are scratching against the plastic plants or in one case, the uptake valve to my filter. I've just added a bunch of fish, so this may be the culprit. Of course, my first worry is ICH, but so far visible evidence of that doesn't exist.

A little tank history first: 29G tank, 6.9 pH, no ammonia, kinda soft water. I tend to use very little in the way of chemicals (a little neutral buffer, and definitely aquarium salt).

Prior to Sunday, I had 5 cherry barbs (all about 3-3.5 years old!!), 6 tigers and 2 very small cory cats. The latter 8 fish were added about 2 months ago, they all adjusted, everyone is fine.

I bought more fish from the LFS, a reliable place in NYC that only sells fish. Bought 3 blue gouramis and 7 silver tip tetras (all of them about 3/4" big - real tiny). Did this Sunday -- I netted the fish to put them in the tank, did not put any LFS water in my tank. Everyone's eating and doing fine, but yesterday and this morning I noticed one of the gouramis and one of my cherry barbs - the oldest one - scratching occassionally against the plastic rocks and such. :(

My first move was to raise the temperature slightly -- up to about 80 from 78 (I'm told going slowly to 85 is a good idea), and I added about 2 TBSP of aquarium salts, as well as a teaspoon of Metaflix, which some of you may know is this medication made from Tea Tree that's mfred by Aquarium Pharma. (I've used this before, and managed to save a bleeding heart tetra with white cloudy stuff on him after quarantining him. Despite its smell, it seems to not have harmful effects.)

Anyway, I also have quinine tablets, but I do not want to go berzerk here. At the same time, I would hate hate hate hate to lose these fish. :cry:

They're all still eating. One of the cherries is a bit whitish above the eyes, but that's been around for several months -- it doesn't look like spots, or cloudy stuff - almost as if his color has faded and it's getting "grey." (Seriously...if it was spots, I'd see.) Other than that, theres nothing visible with any of the fish.

So, my question is, what's my next move? Should I continue dosing with the Metaflix, along with the salt, and raising the temperature for a period of two weeks, and see what happens?

Please help...this tank has been very successful for the last 3.5 years (my cherries were born in the tank). Any/all opinions appreciated.

Sounds like ICK, when fish rub on things, it normally is a sign of an external parasite. Melafix does stink, but from what the other guys say, it works wonders. I can diagnose the problem, but other than what you have done i dont know what else to say.

So, my question is, what's my next move? Should I continue dosing with the Metaflix, along with the salt, and raising the temperature for a period of two weeks, and see what happens?

I think this is great, you are a step ahead of most people that would come to the site with this problem.

You are doing the right thing, stick with the Melaflix, temp 84-85. you said plastic plants right? then continue with salt also. Run the whole course of Melafix according to directions. Another member did this 1-2 weeks ago, pretty sure he saved all fish.

Yes, he only lost one angel, and he had live plants (you cant use salt with live plants i presume?). His name is Bondstreet if you want to PM him and ask for details or whatever. Good luck!

Thanks.

--Yes, says to use a tsp. of Melafix per 10 gallons, so tonite a tbsp of the stuff, and the temp. will have probably reached about 81 by tonite - I'll bump it up another notch so it gets to 85 by, say, Thursday.

--Yes, plastic plants. Was going to add real ones - now gonna hold off.

--How much salt do I add daily? couple tbsp?

--Any thoughts about the carbon in my back-of-tank filter? I've got a double filter system, back of tank with a screen/netting/carbon and an undergravel. It seems I should remove the carbon now, or after I finish the Melafix dosing?

As I said, everyone is eating...so I've got that going for me. :mrgreen:

Thanks for help, all. Appreciated.

Get the carbon out now, it will remove the Melafix from the water.

Inso far as salt goes, how much do you have in there now? Salt does not evaporate or leave in any manner other than water changes. (Sorry if you knew that, some folks don't). I don't think I ever used more than 1 Tablespoon per gallon for med. purposes.

Salt: I had probably put in a few TBSP when initially setting up the tank; I add a little, little bit with water changes, and added a couple of TBSP yesterday. So I should keep adding it, it seems.

Yes, i dont think it would be a problem to put some more in, but not too much. I would start keeping track as well.

Take the carbon out now or the melafix will have no effects.

Will do - will do that tonite when I get home; I'll clean out the filter medium and just leave the filter itself (the spongy thing).

Thanks all!

Salt: I had probably put in a few TBSP when initially setting up the tank; I add a little, little bit with water changes, and added a couple of TBSP yesterday. So I should keep adding it, it seems.

I'm really not sure how much goes in/comes out every time, so be careful with the salt. I'm not the right guy to give advice on that, so do NOT listen to me regarding salt. Sorry, but gotta be up front about that. My tanks are planted, so I dont use any. Perhaps someone else can chime in on the salt issue.

If you are really worried you can pick up a hydrometer at the LFS, it will tell you how much salt is in the tank.

A quick update: The gourami seems like it's not scratching anymore, but two of the cherries, and possibly a 3rd, are now. I've been using the Melafix (it's really only been 2.5 days), along with extra salt, and the temp. is now 86.

Visually, fish look fine - one of the cherries seems to be developing a hole in its head, possibly, although not sure. Otherwise, again, no visual signs. Tank smells now like a combo of the Melafix and a slightly salty smell - I've stopped putting in new salt.

All the fish are still eating, and seem not to be laboring under the higher temp.

What now - keep dosing until the 7 days are up, and then what? Stop? See where we are? Add carbon back? Water change, right? Thanks in advance, all.

Back
Top Bottom