Secondary Infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ECMarine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey this is my first time here and I consider myself to be a novice aquarium owner having a little problem. One of my Black Mollies is showing white patches all over him. It doesn't have that grainy look of Ich, but I just dealt with a bout of it about 3 weeks ago. I used RidIch at half dosage (lotsa tetras in tank) for about 7 days, along with raising my water temp to 80 F. Before the molly wasnt affected but now he is showing the white patchy spots on him, also his eyes look a little swollen as well. So far a nudged my heater up a little more (should be about 82 F by tomorrow) and added aquarium salt at 1 tbs per 5 gal (recommended dosage on the carton) All the other fish look fine except for the one Black Molly. Any advice you guys have for me about what I might be doing wrong/right would be greatly appreciated. My tank parameters are below.

40 Gal Hex tank

Whisper 20-40 filter set to max 200 GPH (thinking about adding another 20-40 filter, tank seems to be heavily stocked, but according to the fish/inch rule I'm good)

pH-7.0, Ammonia-.25 ppm, GH- 75 ppm, KH- 120 ppm, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - 20 ppm

Inhabitants -
1 Angelfish
6 Cardinal Tetras
4 Zebra Danios
2 Red/Blue Columbians (had Ich now are fine)
2 Black Line Tetras
2 Lemon Tetras
1 Diamond Tetras
2 Bloodfin Tetras
2 Black Mollies
2 Serphae Tetras
1 Pleko
1 African Clawed Frog

Welcome to the board!

Sounds like a secondary bacterial infection....upping the temp should ilicit a bit of an immune response, but I would quarantine and treat in a hospital tank, if possible, so you do not need to nuke your main tank with antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom