Seizure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joyler said:
I did like a 50% PWC...could that have done it?

I have done a water change before, only about 20L out of 180L and it had had the same effect on my fish, killed all my barbs, shrimps and angels. I always buy water from the super market, seems to prevent these issues.

I think the PWC did more harm than good. It probably added stress, which could lead to another seizure. Like I said, it may be in your best interest to pick up e dechlorinizer WITH extra stress coat then do a PWC, "aloe Vera"? This will calm the fish a bit IMO

Dylan5359 said:
I think the PWC did more harm than good. It probably added stress, which could lead to another seizure. Like I said, it may be in your best interest to pick up e dechlorinizer WITH extra stress coat then do a PWC, "aloe Vera"? This will calm the fish a bit IMO

Well that was my weekly/ bi-weekly water change...u hope this fail doesn't turn into an EPIC FAIL!!

Well heres the good news...the rummy's have regained their color, and from what I can tell so far, have stopped seizing (knock on drift wood)...

Rosenweiss said:
It'll probably be okay. My fish have survived quite a few unintentional temp fluctuations. Better to learn for next time!

You win!

Seizures are caused by stress. If he had it for a while it may have caused stress resulting in seizures. Don't count out velvet yet. It's a different disease with light white/grayish spots. Maybe your not catching itch early but really velvet. I don't mean prime, but a dechlorinizor with I believe it's "aloe Vera?" that adds a stress coat. There's even a graph on the back with how to apply to stressful fish.

when I have sick or even new fish, I use something called Fish Protector, by Kordon. It contains the aloe vera, B12 and something to enhance the slime coat. I've had good luck with it. Supposedly it also helps meds to adhere to the fish, such as if you are treating for ich.

API have a product called "Stress Coat"

Stress Coat®

content-tr.gif

85C.jpg
Water Conditioners

STRESS COAT, with the healing power of Aloe Vera, is scientifically proven to reduce fish stress and heal damaged tissue. It forms a synthetic slime coating and replaces the natural secretion of slime that is interrupted by handling, shipping, fish fighting, or other forms of stress. Helps reduce susceptibility to disease and infection. Helps heal torn fins and skin wounds. Reduces electrolyte loss. Also works instantly to remove chlorine, chloramines and ammonia from tap water. Neutralizes heavy metals. Use when starting a new aquarium, adding or changing water and adding fish.

• Scientifically proven to reduce fish stress by 40%
  • Scientifically proven to heal wounds and promote regeneration of damaged fish tissue
Stolen straight from their website :D
Haven't used it myself but a few friends of mine swear by it.

That is a pretty good product. The only bad thing is since it says about removing ammo, etc lots of people end up using it as a dechlor. It might be ok for that, but Prime is better. But I would use the stress coat for something like new fish or stressed fish or mild fin rot or something. I used to use it with weekly water changes, but then I was told that the aloe could possibly affect the gills or something? I'm not sure, I don't remember. But do you think that is true? I"m sure its not a problem to use it as needed, but I don't know about using it all the time.

I use it whenever I put in a new fish, or if a fish looks stressed out for some reason lol. It's a really good product, and I always have it on hand.

Homedog98 said:
I use it whenever I put in a new fish, or if a fish looks stressed out for some reason lol. It's a really good product, and I always have it on hand.

Good to know!! You guys are awesome!!

Do you add it to the water outside of the tank? Or do you just dump it straight in?

Joyler said:
Do you add it to the water outside of the tank? Or do you just dump it straight in?

I usually just dump it straight in. My fish like to swim through it!

Back
Top Bottom