Serious fin rot!!! Emergency!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cadet328

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help!!!! I've had my Betta for about two weeks now. After observing him the first week and a half and not noticing anything wrong, I felt it safe to leave for a three day trip. I came back and half his tail is gone!!!!!

Before

image-2161079503.jpg

After

image-989240304.jpg

How can I help him? Please???

Also, I'm terrified of contaminating my other betta I've had for almost a year now. (In a separate tank) what measures do I need to take to make sure there isn't any contamination in her tank? (Washing hands etc????)

What are the parameters of your beta tank and what are you teasing it with the best way to cure finrot is with improved water quality

Do a PWC . Make sure you use Prime.

Offer some live plants, Java Fern is good.

What's the set up ?
Tank size, filter?
What Maintenance routine ?
Water testing ?

Betta males can "blow" their tails due to stress. It may NOT be fin rot.

Check the torn edges for fuzzy looking areas or white.

Clean water, good food and it may grow back somewhat.

Make sure he can't see the other male. Make sure no soap is ever left on your hands.

In answer to fish dude I'm using API master liquid test.
Parameters
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
PH 7.4
Temperature: 78-80

Do a PWC . Make sure you use Prime.

Offer some live plants, Java Fern is good.

What's the set up ?
Tank size, filter?
What Maintenance routine ?
Water testing ?

Betta males can "blow" their tails due to stress. It may NOT be fin rot.

Check the torn edges for fuzzy looking areas or white.

Clean water, good food and it may grow back somewhat.

Make sure he can't see the other male. Make sure no soap is ever left on your hands.

Set up: male in 2.5g tank with filter (filter changed once a month). Two silk plants, one java fern, gravel substrate.
Maintenance: I do weekly nearly 50% water changes. I have a 1 gallon jug that sits next to my tank for 2-3 days to age the water and reach the same temperature as my tank. About an hour before I do the water change, I add API aquarium salt, Amquel, Novaqua, Coppersafe, and 5 drops of pH down.

I WISH this was a blow out. But my male doesn't actually flare very often and the other fish is a female that lives in a ten gallon across the room. Unless Bettas have better eye sight than I give them credit for, I don't think he can see her. I'm pretty sure I see the tip of the rotten fin looking whitish, but it definitely doesn't look fuzzy.

Should I do pwc more frequently until his fins start to grow back? Neither Petsmart nor petco had prime. I will have to order it online.
I also purchased Melafix and tetracycline which I have read help treat fin rot. Would you suggest that I try either/both of those?

In answer to fish dude I'm using API master liquid test.
Parameters
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
PH 7.4
Temperature: 78-80

Set up: male in 2.5g tank with filter (filter changed once a month). Two silk plants, one java fern, gravel substrate.
Maintenance: I do weekly nearly 50% water changes. I have a 1 gallon jug that sits next to my tank for 2-3 days to age the water and reach the same temperature as my tank. About an hour before I do the water change, I add API aquarium salt, Amquel, Novaqua, Coppersafe, and 5 drops of pH down.

I WISH this was a blow out. But my male doesn't actually flare very often and the other fish is a female that lives in a ten gallon across the room. Unless Bettas have better eye sight than I give them credit for, I don't think he can see her. I'm pretty sure I see the tip of the rotten fin looking whitish, but it definitely doesn't look fuzzy.

Should I do pwc more frequently until his fins start to grow back? Neither Petsmart nor petco had prime. I will have to order it online.
I also purchased Melafix and tetracycline which I have read help treat fin rot. Would you suggest that I try either/both of those?

I would avoid Salt. It's easy to over salt a small tank. Plus plants don't like it.

You may want to set up a bare hospital tank, with a fake plant or hiding spot.

Why PH down ? What's your tap PH ?

You parameters sound fine. But you don't need to change out your filter, you are throwing out beneficial bacteria. Instead rinse filter pad with tank or dechlorinated tap water and reuse. You don't need Carbon except to get rid of meds.

When you do PWC are you doing any gravel vac ?

I'm just trying to think of anything that might cause this. Are you shaking up the tests well ?

GL you sound like you are taking great care of your fish. I hope he heals well.

I would avoid Salt. It's easy to over salt a small tank. Plus plants don't like it.

You may want to set up a bare hospital tank, with a fake plant or hiding spot.

Why PH down ? What's your tap PH ?

You parameters sound fine. But you don't need to change out your filter, you are throwing out beneficial bacteria. Instead rinse filter pad with tank or dechlorinated tap water and reuse. You don't need Carbon except to get rid of meds.

When you do PWC are you doing any gravel vac ?

I'm just trying to think of anything that might cause this. Are you shaking up the tests well ?

GL you sound like you are taking great care of your fish. I hope he heals well.

Thanks for the salt tip. Tap pH is about 7.8... I think I remember reading somewhere when I first got my fish that bettas prefer closer to 7??? Maybe I'm making that up.

Check to shaking tests well, I use a turkey Baster to get up old food and poop. I've done this for over a year with my other betta and never had any problems.

I've come to the conclusion that my family might have fed my fish while I was out of town (trying to be nice of course but they ALWAYS over feed....) I'm thinking old food sat at the bottom of the tank for four days.... I did a water change as soon as I got home before even taking a good look at my fish (discovering his fin rot) and that's an explanation for the normal water stats. Of course this is all an assumption.....

A stable ph is more important than the "right" one - and bettas do just fine in slightly higher ph. Mine breed and my water sits around 7.8 - 7.6. Just keep his water very clean and it should start growing back. Also, don't use melafix! For one, it isn't really any more effective than water changes, and for another it can be dangerous for bettas and other labyrinth fish if used at the recommended dosage.

Ooooo I always learn so much on AA. Thanks everyone for your help. I feel better now that my beloved betta isn't going to be one of those horror cases when fin rot becomes body rot!! Ill be sure to take the Melafix back. I don't see myself keeping any other kind of fish beside bettas any time soon. This may be too much to hope for or a "every fish is different" kinda situation... But does anyone have any idea when I might start seeing his tail grow back?

If you want to soften your tap water, you can always use part RO or Distilled mixed with conditioned Tap water.

I just use Prime as my conditioner and a little fertilizer for my plants and I'm set.

And overfeeding sounds like a good guess.

No idea on regrowth, sorry.

As long as the water is kept pristine and he doesn't have any sort of secondary infection, you should start seeing regrowth in a week or so. If his tail starts going fuzzy, you should look into finding an antibiotic medicine to help. I've never had to use one, so I'm not sure which to recommend.

Corsair: would you use half and half distilled water and conditioned tap?

Alyxx: thanks, ill be sure to keep an eye on it.

Bettas are labyrinth fish which are sensitive to Melafix. Please don't use. Salt and clean water changes should heal your fish. Since your tank is so small, change out the water every other day. If you are going away for more than 2 days, give the fish to a friend to look after until you get back.

Thanks everyone. I'll give an update later on in the week on how's he's doing with the every other day water changes.

Back
Top Bottom