Serious help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My only fear of the meds was the fire eels. But they are just fine. Will be glad when it's over.

Just bought a 55G tank from my friend. He should be bringing it over today. Then all I need to do is get the stand at Walmart this week. Then I should have everything to get it started. Have been debating on either doing a fishless cycle, or getting some Bio-Spira and moving my eels and sharks to the big tank when the temp and ph are in sync and adding the Bio-Spira. He had gotten the tank from Walmart and never used it. Comes with hood, lights, filter, and various other items. He's even throwing in some ornaments he doesn't want, which i can use or not use, whatever I want. And I already have the pool filter sand for it. With fire eels, what would be a good depth for the filter sand? Maybe an inch and a half? 2 inches? Thanks.

Glad to hear the bala is getting better. I can't offer a suggestion on the sand bed depth for fire eels in particular but I have a 2" bed of sand for my tank.

Well, looks like all's going great. I do believe the bala can see out of his left eye. Doesn't matter which way he's facing, one sight of the cat and he goes berserk, lol. Don't know why he's so afraid of the cat, lol. The tank is in the corner of the room, and when the cat comes and sits on the back of the couch, about 5 feet away, he gets all wound up. Looks like he's trying to scare the cat away, but in reality, he gets her attention and she has to chase him, lol.

Well, you know how it goes, something about 5 1/2-6 inches, bright shiny silver, moving quite fanatically, who's attention wouldn't it get? lol

I wish I didn't have to medicate today, lol. But gonna follow the instructions. 5 days, even if it looks like it's gone. ;)

Did my water change and 5th day of medicating. Will put the carbon back in tomorrow after water change. All's looking good. Bala is still very active. :)

Thank goodness! I am happy for you and your bala! It is so nice to hear something good happening after a bout with illness. We could use more of those stories I think sometimes.

Question...

Now to get rid of the medication, I'll add carbon and do a few water changes. About how many water changes should I do and how often should I remove old carbon and add new? I have tons of carbon, so no worry about me running out. :)

Hey Zagz, you notice you have more Kudos than posts like me? Does that mean we are good? lol. Just wanted to say thanks to you and all others in here for the support and knowlege. I learned quite a bit. You all are TOTALLY AWSOME!!!! :lol:

Now this week I can concentrate on getting my stand from Walmart and setting up my 55G I got from my friend at work. Hope to get it up and running within the week. :)

To be honest I never pay attention to kudo's unless I am giving them to somebody. All I do is help when I can, the people at AA have never failed me yet and it is the least that I can do to return the favor whenever possible. That and I am a hopeless SUCK where all living creatures are concerned. I just hate the thought of anything suffering.

Well, it's not always the knowlege that's important, as some are better at giving support as well, like yourself. I'm in the learning stage as well, like you. And am willing to give a helping hand where I can, even if it's just support. :)

Did a 20% water change today, and put my carbon back in to start mopping up the medication. Will do another in 2 days.

Lonewolfblue said:
It's not just 1 person that makes the whole forum work, but everyone involved. :)

So very true! And at AA it really works, I've tried other forums and this is by far the best as far as family and community goes.

hi again...

Bala looks to be doing great. I believe all the meds have been removed by now. 3 PWC's and changed out carbon 3 times. He's looking great. Eye looks punctured, but does seem to have at least some vision. Other than that, he's doing awsome. Thank you all for the support.

That is great news! I'm happy for you and your bala. Mine got cloudy eye shortly after this happened to yours and I'm happy to report that he is doing just great too!

Cool, good luck with yours. I ordered my Emperor 400 filter yesterday, and got confirmation today that it was shipped. Once I get it, I will fill my new 55G and put the filter on. Going to try a few things to speed up the cycle, such as taking a used filter cartrige from my small cycled aquarium, and put it in the Emperor 400, as they take the same cartriges. Will also swab some of the bacteria off the plastic sides of the bio-wheel, and place small amounts on the new bio-wheels while it's running. Won't take any off the bio-wheel blades though, don't want to mess up any colonization. And for the biomedia, will put new media in the new cartriges, and add a little of the media from the cycled tank, and then top off the cartrige from the cycled tank with new media. I might also take a filter sleeve and put some of my substrate from the cycled tank in it and set it in the tank as well for a week or 2, near the filter intake. Once this is done, will add a little ammonia and see how things go. Hopefully I will speed up the cycle. As a last resort, I might try Bio-Spira and add fish. But til I get the filter, will continue thinking of options, as I'd like to move the eels over soon, and at least the bala and dojo's as well.

Back
Top Bottom