Serpae tetra help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sambo7475

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a serpae tetra that looks like he got beat up pretty bad, just showed up like this yesterday, but seems to be worse today. His left eye and upper lip are swollen and discolored. His overall color seems to be faded, but he's swimming ok, eating well, but looks like he came out on the wrong end of a bar fight. No other fish seem afflicted, but I'm concerned this could be an infection of some kind.
Tank details:
55 gal set up since August, cycle complete since November, Aquaclear 110 filter with sponge/purigen/floss/biorings, params are good (78 deg F, Amm 0, Trite 0, TrAte 20, pH 8.2 and steady for the last 3 months), 40-50% PWC per week, nothing new added since December when I upgraded to the AC110. Plastic plants, rock structures, and a small piece of driftwood for the pleco.
Food is flake TetraColor daily with freezedried bloodworms as treat a couple of times a week. Also sinking shrimp pellets for the cories (Hikari brand, I think)
Serpaes have been in since the beginning, cycled with them in, all 12 serpaes survived the cycle, and have been healthy appearing until now.
Other inhabitants:
1 Angel, 2 Silver Dollars, 1 Common Pleco (6"), 15 harlequin rasboras, 3 cories (had 4 but 1 died), 1 dojo loach (still waiting for LFS to get more, his 2 buddies died early on). I know the common pleco will outgrow the tank but he is my oldest fish at 4 years old, lived in my 20 until I got the 55 up and running.

Here's a pic of my battered serpae, it's really hard to get a pic of him, because he is hiding a lot. Help is appreciated! And if you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 107
nevermind, he's gone. :( After he died, I took him out and looked at him, seems as though his entire jaw was damaged, and the spot around his eye started to take on a grayish appearance, could this be fungal infection setting in after the original injury? And could my other guys get it?

I'm sorry :( I don't think a fungus could do that to the jaw. But the grayish around the eye sounds like one. Keep us posted if any other fishy get beat up

Thanks for the reply, I think he got torn up in a fight, out of the 12 in the tank, he was the bulliest by far. My daughter named him "Jerky." I hope it was just dead tissue and not a fungus, going to keep up with the water changes and keep a close eye on the rest of my fish, for sure. Anything else?

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks more traumatic than like mouth rot to me, these were taken post-mortem. I don't see any of the characteristic white patches I've seen before with mouth rot victims. What do you think? And thanks for the replies!

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 504
Back
Top Bottom