serpae tetra sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 serpae tetras, I thought they were bloodfins, that is what the lfs told me but a bit of searching on the net proved that wrong. Over the last couple of days one of the serpae's has been swimming with his tail slightly down. Otherwise he acts normal, he plays, swims, eats and has no spots of ich that are visible. He looks like he is swimming to the surface all the time. Nitrites are 0 so are ammonia, ph is at 7.5, temp is 77. I just feel this is not normal behaviour for him. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Do your serpaes look like these?

serpae_tetras.jpg

Leave it to LFS to get it wrong. :twisted: In the meantime, how long have you had the fish? The serpaes are schoolers and they will become nippy when not in schools of 6 or more. He may be a little stressed. Keep an eye on him and keep checking your parameters. It wouldn't hurt to raise your temp to 79-80 and keep it there. I see you also have a high ph level. Has it always been stable at this level?

That is exactly what he looks like. The ph hasn't changed much at all for a couple of months, should it be lower? I have primarily got platies, mollies and tetras in there, with a couple of angel fish and algae eaters. Oh and of course my two ADF's whom are my babies.

I never trust my lfs anymore, I either google or search on here to find out the correct info on my fish.

I will turn the temp up a bit for him and see if it helps. Do products like stress coat do any good or are they a waste of money?

It's better not to use any additives or meds until you know exactly what the ailment is. Right now I would just keep things stable and keep an eye out for any other signs.

In regard to your ph, is it that high out of the tap? If you've already done the out of the tap test (leaving a glass of water out overnight and then testing it) and it is lower than that of your tank, it could be related to the difference when doing PWC's. Ph swings do cause fish stress.

Thanks. I'll test the ph that way and see what it reads. What is the appropriate ph? I had googled ph and got some varied responses.

I did a reading of the ph in my tank after a pwc and it is at 7.0 now. What are the best test kits fot the most accurate readings? All my test kits require you to match the color up to the closet color, probably not the most accurate. The kits are Nutrafin. For example when testing nitrites, I can't tell the exact number ppm, only a range of 0, 0-0.3, 0.3-0.5, etc. My nitrites aren't showing any color so I do consider them to be 0.

Are you using a "strip" or liquid re-agent test? The strips are the least accurate. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals has a great re-agent test.

If your test after a PWC is 7 and the test is accurate, something is causing the ph to climb to 7.4.

An accurate testing could eliminate this mystery.

It's a liquid test with the test tube and a color chart. I will check out Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits if I am able to obtain them where I am located. I did a tap test this morning both hard and soft water. (I have both), and the readings were both
between 7.0 and 7.5, tank test this morning the same. So I guess there isn't much I can about the ph levels are there? I'll search around and see of I can get a more accurate test, I think my problem is I work with cars and color matching paint all day and actually the color in the test tube doesn't really match any of the colors on the color charts, LOL. I don't look at colors the same as most people. Husband looked at it and said it was closer to 7.0.

Thanks Jchillin, for all your advice and help!! (y) (y) :BIG:

The color chart ranges from a really yellowish light green to a beautiful dark blue. I know what you mean by not being able to tell right away so here's a good method. Stand in an area that is lit with natural sunlight. Have the light coming in from behind you and nothing in front of you (ie: Walls, large appliances, husband) and place the tube against the color chart. If you can't see the color on the chart, you have a match.

When you say you have both hard and soft water, which one has the higher ph value?

Back
Top Bottom